1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Arrowana Information (Price and Tank Size)

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Kirk, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

I was just wondering how expensive they usualy are. I live in a small town and there is only one pet store other than our Wal-Mart. I would be putting the fish in a fifty gallon tank by itslef and i have been told this is adequate. If you have any tips and information it would be greatly appreciated.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The most commonly available arowanas (silver arowanas) get around 3 feet long so a 50 gallon isn't even close to adequate. You'd need something closer to 300 gallons.

-Chelle

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I've seen small silver arowana go for $10 at the cheapest.

50G is no where close to the right housing for an arowana. Think more along the lines of 250 G or larger. If it's a silver arowana it can get up to 3' so there's no way a 50G would be long enough for it.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, so scratch that idea.....what type of fish are you looknig for for your 50 gallon?

5. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yeah I thought they got that big. Most of the sites i was on said a fifty would last for a long time though. Dont worry though, Im not going to get one. I was thinking an Oscar would be cool. Are there any other large fish that are interesting?

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

what kind of interesting are you looking for? aggressiveness, looks, interactivity, or what? what is your price range and the temperment u want in a fish....also, are we tlaknig aobut a single large fish, right?

7. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yes, a single large fish. I am not worried about price unless it is way over the top (under one hundred dollars would be nice but ill go over if i know the fish is worth it). I am looking for an interesting fish, if interesting means aggressive then so be it. I was looking at sevreal fish. Oscars seem interesting but i know that lots of people have trouble with them.

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well some single large cichlids that come to mind are Flowerhorns, red-devils, Midas's, Oscars, and Managueses (not sure on the spelling).

9. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Thanks!

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea no problem....as for price ranges....all i listed shouldnt cost you all that much money except for the flowerhorn....a super AAA high quality one could costs up to $1,000 while a more affordable lower quality but still nice looking flowerhorn could cost between $10-$100 dollars

11. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Oh really you could get a Flowerhorn for under one-hundred dollars? If you can then i will definetly be getting one! Do you think that a Flowerhorn could live with two Bloody Parrots for maybe a month or two?

12. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

no, probably not.....flwoerhorns are VERY aggressive......it might end up killing the parrots, but you never know........those two can interbreed if the flowerhorn is male and the BP is a female (most male BP's are sterile) so if they are large enoguh maybe you will get a pair, but ptobably not.......any more questions?

13. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Do Flowerhorns grow to large for a fifty-gallon?

14. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well, a full grown flowerhorn needs about a 55 gallon (gorws to be 12"), so you would probably be able to get away with it in a 50 gallon....just make sure to keep up on the water chnages.

15. Kirk

Kirk New Member

I meant 55-gallon anyways.

16. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

that sounds fine then.....just make sure when your hand is in the water to keep your eyes on the fish or have someone else for you at all times.......flowerhorns arent afraid of anything and will try to fight your hand......some of mine let me actually pet them under water and will move around with my hand and follow me, while others wont even let my hand get a few inches from the water without trying to attack me.

17. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Do you think it would be better for me to start with an Oscar? I mean a Flower Horn seems like a lot for a realitively unexperieced hobbiest.

18. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

flowerhorns are pretty hardy, but if your just getting into aquariums then go ahead and try an oscar of you want.

19. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

You could do that, but Oscars can live for a very long time if treated well I've heard, so you would have to find a place for it to go down the road if you eventually wanted to get a flowerhorn. Personally, if i were wanting a flowerhorn eventually, I would do my research, know what the fishes needs are, and then get the flowerhorn. As you can see, grnlemonade says theyre pretty hardy and owns some, so it would most likely be okay if you kept up with the tank and were careful