1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Auspet service difficulties poll – please vote.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Auspetian, Jun 30, 2004.

?

How many times did you experience service difficulties on this site in the past 3 months ?

1. On every visit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only once

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Approx 3 times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Approx 5 Times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Approx 10 Times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Approx 20 Times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Approx 30 Times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. More than 30 Times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I also have AOL 9.0 and popup blocker. I have no problems anywhere but here.

2. nern

nern New Member

I have AOL 9.0 too but it seems that I get pop-ups no matter where I go even with AOL's pop up blocker. I really get alot of internet explorer type pop-ups...so many that it usually freezes my computer. Spy Bot does'nt even seem to help with those. :? It driving me nuts!

3. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

There shouldn’t be more then one pop-up per user per 24 hours over auspet.

In case you haven’t noticed, it is a free site supported by advertising.
    We tried to avoid ad banners and popup by placing a donation button a while back but no one realy gave a hoot. So unfortuantly we must use advertising and one popup every 24 hours to support the site.

Those of you who are experiencing an excessive number of pop-ups may have some type of spyware installed on their browser which may be responsible for generating them. It may appear as the pop-ups are being generated at this site but they are not.

P.S.
    I have the google bar installed on my browser and i see 0 (zero) popups here or anywhare else i visit. The google toolbar stops 100% of popups.

If you have the google bar installed and you still see popups then you can be more then absolutely sure that there is some sort of spyware program running on your system which keep generating them (hence the reason the google bar can't stop them).

Jamiya and Chessmind you may want to scan your system for spyware and BHO's (browser toolbar kind of little nasties) which may be generating the excessive number of popups you are reporting.

4. nern

nern New Member

I'm pretty sure I have spyware. :x
    I get excessive pop-ups even when I'm just reading my emails. I think I'm gonna try the google bar and see if it helps at all.

5. Auspetian

Here is a list of a few pop-up stoppers, adware & spyware detection and removal tools:

1 Google toolbar - the best pop-up stoper out there
    2 Spyware Nuker - Adware and spyware detection and removal tool
    3 Lavasoft Ad-awrae - Adware detection and removal software
    4 Xsoft Spy - Adware and spyware detection and removal
    5 SpyBot - Spyware detection and removal

6. Auspetian

Nern,

It is not enough to just stop the pop-ups. Sound like you have spyware installed on your system which you must detect and uninstall. It records your browsing habbits and some are known to key log anything you type (which includes passwords !!!) and send this info out to anonymous servers.

Scan for spy ware ASAP. Start with the Lava soft one (called ad-aware). Each program will detect and remove different types of spy ware. It is recommended to run a couple of these programs just to be on the safe side.

Anyone who is using kazza for downloading songs etc. must scan for spy ware. Kazza installs tons of it (so is imash and other type of p2p programs......tons to say the least).

7. nern

nern New Member

Thanks for the links! :wink:

8. nern

nern New Member

I scan with Spybot probably about once a week and it always detects things. A couple of times things have been installed on my desktop without me doing it! I'll have to try some of those other programs. Thanks for the tips.

9. Auspetian

You're more than welcome !

Let me know if you have any question or need help with any of them.

Also heres an important tip !

Some web sites pop up a message with an "ok" or "cancel" buttons.
    It normally asks if to install something or add you to some list and asks for your action.

The trick is, regardless of which button you are going to click the site will still install the nasty on your system.

It is best to press alt+f4 on your keyboard (which will close/dismiss this message) and not press the "ok" or "cancel" buttons on the message. It is a known trick designed to fool your browser security settings and to install all kind of spywar and adware files without you knowing about it. It may also change your browser's default home page, add unwanted bookmarks, desktop shortcuts etc.

It is really getting tough out there. I'm amazed this type of abuse is still legal.

10. nern

nern New Member

It worked!! :eek:
    Thank you so much! I have not seen one pop-up ad since I scanned with Lavasoft. :D

I will definately keep this in mind. Thanks.

11. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Auspetian. Thank you for the good info. I have spybot and ad-aware. However, I have only been using spybot. Perhaps, I will use both on a regular basis and see how things go. Hopefully, I'll soon be as happy as Nern seems to be. :wink:

12. nern

nern New Member

I'm still getting a few pop-ups but not very often....nothing like before and it only seems to happen when I visit certain sites. I'm still very satisfied. I have'nt even had a screen freeze since I scanned. :D

13. Auspetian

nern did you try installing the google toolbar?

It should stop 99.99% of pop-ups (websites pop-ups, not spyware pop-ups). Check it out, highly recommended.

14. nern

nern New Member

Yes, I installed it but have'nt tried it yet. I'll give it a try. Thanks. :D

15. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I have spybot and ad-aware, but I was only using the spybot. I ran the ad-aware and it found so many things. I have 80% less pop-ups now. I do run both of them on a regular basis now, as things always seem to find their way into my computer, but it's just so much better now. :eek:

16. horse_child

horse_child New Member

slow loading every visit.

17. Jody

Jody New Member

I had troubles on the homepage this morning. I tried to log in, but it wouldn't do anything, then I tried to click on a link like to dogs link or the cats link and it woudln't do anything, so then I just closed the window and came back a few hours later.

18. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I have been recieving this message off and on today.
    Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61) in /home/auspetco/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/auspetco/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/auspetco/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
    phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database