1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Awesome Research in Dog Genetics

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by cosmicpixie, Apr 29, 2004.

1. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

There is awesome research going on right now at University of California, Berkley. If you are familar with the Human Genome Project it maps the genetic make of people and be able to identify disease and other genetic defects. Well this is essentially the same thing only with dogs. They are hoping that this research will be able to help vets identify genetic disorders such as cancer and epilepsy, especially ones that are breed specific. So with that being said they are hoping to be able to identify the different breeds that help make up are favorite mutts. My interest in this research was spawned by my doubts of the actual mix of my pup Maya. (She's supposedly a pom-a-poo although there is nothing poodle to her) Here's a link that tells about the research and what's going on, some of it is written in scientific jargon but is still incredibly interesting!

http://mendel.berkeley.edu/dog.html
    http://www.workingdogs.com/genetics.htm

2. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

This is cool stuff .Glad to know someone is actually working on something like this . :eek:

3. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

oh no... more stuff to set aside for when the brain is ACTUALLY workin... :)

4. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I find it interesting .I believe though you can already tell .They know a maltese ,they know a poodle .All they have to do is get dna and have it checked I suppose .Should be as easy as finding out if a father is really one or not ,but any research that helps should be good in the end ,if it is true and does what it says it will do .Years to know for sure and then to be used only as a back up .Still ,it is one step in noting that crosses are here to stay .