1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bala Shark Questions

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by GodsChld, Aug 25, 2004.

1. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

Ok i have the pictures but i am NOT about to pay 10 bucks to post a picture or two......any other way you all could take a look.....if not i understand....thanks all!!![/img]

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I know of anyone who has paid to post pics, Ok go to www.Photobucket.com Or similur hosting site upload ur pics then post them on here. Once you have done that i will help u with more insturction if u need :y_the_best:

3. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

PICS

Thanks M_wm!!!

Ok here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

No problem :D

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

6. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

"hhhmmm"

that is exactly that i said :wink:

I dont know if this is bad or not.........

And to top it off I am starting to get some brown algae!!!

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

do you have some sort of pleaco in there ?

8. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

pleco

nope......and i guess i should for the algae prob that i am starting to get, but i did not becuase 1....the size of the fish i have now (or what they will be).....2....they get big as well......3.....i have read that they make about the same mess or more of a mess than the oscars do(waste wise)......

I just dont know if my bala is hurt or what.....he seems fine, and is swimming around fine......but these markings and the color in his tail worry me.....

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

what are your readings ?

10. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

My water is a bit hard, but that is about it........ph is fine

11. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

what about amonia and nitrite and others and what are the numbers ??

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yup, definitely need readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

It looks like the red is under the surface, is that right? Are there any abrasions?

-Chelle

13. tina1

tina1 New Member

odd....

Anything the fish could've injured itself on in the tank? As I've heard of balas crashing around so fast in people's tanks that they run into decorations and can hurt themselves. You have a 125 correct? I can't imagine this happening but who knows. Definitely weird :?

14. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

i did get it checked for EVERYTHING at the pet store....i took a sample in and they told me my levels were perfect water was just a little hard, but you will have that sometimes......

As for things in the tank for him to run into (i say him but i really dont know if it is a guy or a girl) i have some large rocks and a big piece of drift, but i took lots of stuff out when i got the other fish so that there would be enough room for all of them to swim. The red coloring def seems to be on the inside on the fins. The wierdest part is that he does not seem to be ANY diff.......he swims around like a mad man just like he did from day one......

So no ideas huh?? Figures i have the problem that is "just odd"....story of my life!!!

I am going to attempt to return the white tips on your advice, thank you all very much!! If you think of anything else let me know!!!

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

For future reference, please don't accept "your parameters are fine", get the actual numbers, it's much more helpful.

It looks like a bacterial infection. I would try treating with something like Maracyn-Two or Tetracycline. It might be a good idea to set up a hospital tank for treatent because, unless you can get some concentrated pond meds, it will cost a fortune to treat 125 gallons.

-Chelle

16. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

ok i will get the numbers next time, actually i am going to go tonight and make an exchange on the two white tips (i hate to see my boys go) but i dont want them to have an unhappy home......i am going to make sure the pet store knows they CAN NOT make this mistake again.....

I am thinking another bala (3 is a school at least i feel it is) and either

1 JD
    1 pleaco

what do you think on advice for that selection, or do you feel there are better fish.....remeber i need something walt (Tiger oscar) wont eat!!

Also i have a 20 gallon tank whch i will set up tonight as my "make the bala shark better house if that is what you feel i should do

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I wouldn't get the JD. Oscars generally aren't too accepting of new cichlid tankmates but most tend to ignore bottom feeders. I think you would have fewer problems with an new pleco.

-Chelle

18. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Oh really, they will ignore bottom feeders. How big of a pleco would I have to get for two oscars, where the biggest one is 5""?

19. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

THANK!!!

I took the pictures to the pet store with me and told them your recommendation and they said you are prob right and showed me the sickness on this chart.....both bala sharks were begining to get it so i removed them both into a small tank and am treating them for the next 5 days.....

Also i purchased a 6" pleaco and another bala...so thanks again!!!

20. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds like you have things under control. Good luck with the balas.

-Chelle