1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

**BE KIND Cause Collars**

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by myshihpoo, Sep 24, 2005.

1. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

Has anyone heard of the "CauseCollars"?? They are blue "collars" with the words "BE KIND" on them. They look like the popular message bracelets (e.g., the yellow LIVE STRONG ones) but your dogs wear them as collars. (Don't worry, they are adjustable!) :)

I just ordered five (funny thing is... we only have ONE DOG! LOL). They are only $3/each... or even less per item if you order more! The best part is that right now the proceeds from the sale of the "Be Kind" CauseCollars (until Sept 30th) will go towards the Disaster Services program, to assist the animal victims of Katrina and other disasters.

Check out the Humane Society of U.S.'s website at http://www.hsus.org/ and click on the link for the CauseCollars (on the right side of page, just above "Press Room").... or the direct link is: https://gateway.hsus.org/hsusdev/

(I am assuming the Auspet Gods don't mind me posting other websites on this thread, considering the 'cause')

2. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

**bumping up** since there are only a few days left in September....

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I think thats a cool idea, i just wish they wouls stop sending me things I dont want, like the flashlight I just recieved that doesnt work, I would much rather buy something like this than all of the stuff they waste money on sending me

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yep. I do like the idea of the collars. I also like the idea of just sending a cash donation so that ALL of your money goes to the cause, rather than the profits from merchandise.

You also have to look into each animal charity and determine where your money goes in order to decide who to donate to. Do they have a huge amount of overhead? Misappropriation of funds? What exactly do they use the funds for? Etc...

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

that's why I don't like to donate to the HSUS I'd like to know how much money they spend on stuff they mail out - I get swamped with address labels from them.
    My local shelter is also selling those blue bracelets - I'm buying one from them cause I know where their money goes.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I know there is a place to go to see what the overhead/actual money ratio is for chairties, I will try to find it, I did have a mailer once from HSUS that gave an address if you still wanted to contribute but to get them to stop sending the merchandise, I need to find that too.

7. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

Oh, I'd like that address too! I agree... I have more address labels than I know what to do with!! LOL My "guess" is that they get those items donated (or for dirt cheap).

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Well, the ratings look good. But then so do the ratings for the Red Cross and my officemate insists that they misappropriate funds all the time. The CEO of the Red Cross sure is paid a lot, and even though it is a small percentage of their total revenue it still seems a bit much. The CEO of HSUS is paid much less and it is a small percentage of their income, but the pop-up box on that site warns that there are ways to "hide" extra income.

Don't you just wish everyone could be honest and not greedy?

10. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

I agree :)

11. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

OH same here!! I've got a desk drawer of nothing but those address labels!! and the ALWAYS Spell my name wrong so I have to correct them before I put them on the bills I send off! LOL...

I got ASPCA on my checks once... now, at least 2-3 times a month I get flyers with offers for new checks! LOL...

Not to meantion, the "sponcer a Child" flyers... I know those kids need help. But unless I PERSONALLY fly to those countries and PERSONALLY hand over the money or items, those children are NEVER gonna see it....
    I hate those ads on TV for it too...