1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Jennytoons, May 8, 2004.

1. Jennytoons

Jennytoons New Member

I have one male betta fish. I know that if I put another male, one of them will eventually die. Is there any kind of fish that can get along with it?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What size tank do you have him in?

-Chelle

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My bettas seem to enjoy them company of most of my other fish. They get along pretty well with my platys and tetras.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Most tetras tend to be fin nippers and bettas make a prime target.

-Chelle

5. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

I keep my betta's in a community tank. my first fighter got plagued by my tetra's, but did ok, he then died coz my guarami ate him.

My second male betta is fine with the tetra's as is the female. there in a 15gal tank.

amy.

6. tina1

tina1 New Member

Tetras can be nippy but I've never had them bother a betta before. Some people will tell you not to keep guppies with bettas because the betta will mistake the colorful tail for another betta; once again I've never had this happen. Some guppies, white clouds, zebra danios, neons or cardinals, silvertip tetras, rummynose tetras, mollies or platies will all be just fine if he is in a small tank.

Post your tank size so that we will be able to give you more suggestions.

7. Jennytoons

Jennytoons New Member

I have a 10 gallon tank.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You could get a few cory cats.

-Chelle

9. Jennytoons

Jennytoons New Member

Why a few cory cats? Will something happen if I get more than a few?

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you get too many your tank will be overstocked, your water parameters will go to heck, and your fish will suffer and/or die.

For smaller fish (just about any of the fish that can actually live in a 10 gallon tank), the 1" of adult fish/gallon rule applies. So you have 10" to work with. A betta counts as 2" so that leaves you with 8". Depending on the species, cories can get anywhere from 1" - 4". So if you got some of the pygmy cories you could fit about 8 of them in there. If you got one of the larger species of cories, you could only fit 2 in there.

-Chelle