1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bit of a long one ...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Ginny, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Ginny

Ginny New Member

I recently posted about my 16 year old Cassie who I thought was losing her hearing. She'd been very twitchy and jumpy and wasn't appearing to hear me very well.

Anyway, 3 months ago she had her usual depo jab for an allergy, which works very well. But a few days later she suddenly had a seizure, but the vet said it wasn't connected to the depo injection but to keep my eye on her and if she had another fit to take note of time etc.

6 weeks ago she had another depo, and was fine. The last week she had another steroid jab (she has had them around 6-8 weekly for a couple of years now) and had been terribly twitchy since. Then at 3 this morning I woke up to her falling off the bed and having a seizure - she fell and got stuck between my bed and chest of drawers. So I just had to yank her out, she then ran off down 2 sets of stairs whilst convulsing and by the time I got downstairs she was ok again.

I've tried looking online to see if I could find anything about the steroid perhaps causing these seizures but haven't been able to yet. Could it be causing them? There's nothing I can do, as there isn't an alternative medication to stop her allergy. Also, I was wondering if her twitchiness was the lead up to the seizure this time? She certainly doesn't appear to be as bad with that today, and is more alert than she has been in the past week.

I guess time will tell, she is definitely showing her age now, but she's still quite nimble, and she's very sweet :D I don't want to panic, as she may be fine for another few months but it's obviously worrying, and I don't want her to be in pain or frightened, and the twitching and this morning's episode do seem to have scared her.

Any advice?

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

3. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I'm sorry your kitty is going through all of this. I really don't have any advice to give. I hope everything will be okay.

4. Bente

Bente New Member

Poor Cassie :( Lets hope you figure out what is trigging the seizures.

Good link Mary :y_the_best:

5. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Thankyou. I have looked at the link and part of it sounds like Cassie, but some of it doesn't. I'm very confused as to what to do, if anything at the moment. :roll:

d

6. vene

vene New Member

7. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Hi,

Thanks for those links. I'm not sure what happens with Cassie, but she hasn't fallen on her side that I've seen. Leading up to the 'incident' she was very jumpy and nervous, but I thought that was her having problems with her hearing, which seems to be going. Since then she's not been so jumpy. I did notice her the other day in the garden though looking like she was trying to go to the toilet but couldn't, she then started dragging her bottom on the grass ... then went back to try and go to the loo again but then vomited quite a lot. She does vomit now and again, which is fine but it was just the way she was dragging her bum around the floor - I've seen her do that twice now outside.

Given her other episodes and now this, I've decided to take her to the vet on Wednesday and get some bloods. Can't think of what else to do. She is on steroid jabs about every 8 weeks (dex) for an allergy. At least with the bloods we can hopefully eliminate a few things.

Ginny

8. vene

vene New Member

Good luck on the vet visit. Thinking of you and Cassie. *hugs*

9. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Thankyou! Poor Cassie was very stressed on the journey there and back, but we had a lovely nurse to hold her and she talked to her and stroked her the whole time. She was either calm or just scared stiff because she didn't move whilst having the blood taken! Just got to wait for the results now. Hopefully all clear, then I'll just have to accept it's old age affecting her.

Thanks for your thoughts O:)

10. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Hang in there!! Keep us posted on how Cassie is doing..... Your a good fur owner!!