1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bloat Claims Another Sweet dog

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Dukesdad, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Hi Dukesdad, You did a wonderful job in creating that web site! my hats off to you! Now of coarse i cried!!!

This condition is not found in small breed dogs? I'm wondering because Casey (my mini dacshund) has a large chest.....

Susan

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Susan,
    I everything I have read small breeds do not seem to be at risk. Here is a list of what the Purdue University study determined to be the breeds at greatest risk:
    Great Dane
    Irish Wolfhound
    Bloodhound
    Saint Bernard
    Weimaraner
    Akita
    Irish Setter
    Standard Poodle
    Collie
    Rottweiler
    Notice that Labs are not on that list but my Lab did experience the condition. I find that Labs and Weimers have a very similar body configuration and Weimers are on the list.

3. dexter30

dexter30 New Member

I know this is an old post but I thought maybe I could add something. First off, let me start by introducing myself. As you can see my screen name is dexter30. I'm from the United States, Pennsylvannia. I currently own a female akita mix named Shanna. I use to also have a large pure bread male akita named Hercules. He was 135 pounds and he too died from bloat at age 8. It happened to him twice. The second time was fatal. The vet informed me that not only does the stomach bloat but it also flips over cutting off blood circulation the the large intestine. Many times even if the stomach is problem is corrected, the intestine tissue is destroyed and the animal can still die. Also, I was told that this mainly happens to large, deep chested breeds.

It has been almost 3 years since I lost hercules and I miss him dearly. Dukesdad, I'm sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to go through such a thing.

4. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Thanks Dexter and I too know how deeply you feel your loss. The bloat occurs because the stomach flips, thus twisting everything together. You are correct in that the fatal damage is mainly caused byblood flow being cut off or restricted. Jake lost his spleen because it was damaged and I got him to the Vet very soon after I noticed he was not acting right. Thats how quickly damage can occur.

5. Blueribbon

Blueribbon New Member

I know how you feel I lost my Sandy poo, she was a cocker span. and poodle mix aka cocker-poo, in 1996. She started by not eating but when she would drink it all came back up I took her to the vet and he told me that she was bloated, but he was unable to get her tubed. So they did surgery and found her stomache to be twisted ( mainly all of her stomache had gone black ) he came out and told me that she only had a 2% chance of living, I made the hardest choice of my life I told him to let her go (to the rainbow bridge). I could not stand to see her suffer the rest of her life if she lived, I'm sorry if you all think me heartless but I could not see her having to eat every 5 minutes for the rest of her life. My aunt Mary had a dog ( dachy ) that had her stomache to flip also but they got her to the vet in time, they were able to fix it by stitching her stomache in place but she died 2 months later from a heart attack.

6. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Now that this topic has been brought up again, something just occured to me so I have a question.

If a dog has bloat, how long would it take them to die if nothing is done for them?

The reason I ask is last christmas my step-father's dog died sort of under mysterious causes. They thought he had eaten something bad out of a dumpster or something (he was always escaping from the yard, etc.) He was sick for maybe two days. His symptoms were just that he didn't really want to eat and he was just very lethargic, didn't want to get up, was throwing up, etc. My idiot stepfather didn't take him to the vet immediately b/c it was christmas and he didn't want to pay the extra $$. Anyways, the dog was an Irish Setter. It has just bothered me b/c I was concerned it may have been something contagious and I don't want my dogs to get sick when I bring them to their house.

7. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

elizavixen,
    The only thing a truly bloated dog can throw up is a bit of foam. because the stomach cannot regurgitate pass the twist. As for how long, from what I have read it only takes a matter of hours, not days for a dog to succumb due to the blood flow blockage to vital organs.
    From your decscription, the symptoms your step-fathers dog exhibited do not match up with bloat but it might have been an intestinal problem from ingesting some trash. Those symtoms could also match a fairly wide scope of other diseases as well.

8. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Ok. It has just always bothered me not knowing what happened to him. I had never initially even considered bloat. I guess I'll never know. :(

9. Minervasmomma

Minervasmomma New Member

Just wanted to let you know - I came across your page sometime back, after Minnie first came along and I was researching all I could about Great Danes. I printed out the warning signs and highlighted them, so that anyone and everyone (have big family, tons of friends, and my apt. is the meeting ground alot - Minnie almost always has company over!) who feeds her or is around her knows what to look for. No episodes, yet (knock on wood) but just the info's there, on the fridge on bright neon pink paper, puts me at ease!