1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding Guppies

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I was wondering what is the easiest guppy fish to breed is like Swordtail, Fancy Tail, Mollies, Platys, etc... They will be breed in a 10 gallon. Will they except my TetraMin flakes and how should the setup look like?

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Well guppys are metal they eat each other.. i dont like them platys dont eat there fry as often as guppys tho. I think R u using em for feeders? Im ganna have a lot of cons soon :roll: :mrgreen:

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Wow, either your were really tired or were missing a few keys when you made that post :mrgreen:

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: I ment to say they are mental :mrgreen:

5. jme1913

jme1913 New Member

i've had two batches of babies

I've had 2 different pairs of guppies have babies. THe temperature has to be right to have fry. Even though some will be eaten, usually people see around 8 or so when they are fairly easy to see. Sometimes that number will decrease as they grow up. Just be sure to have plenty of hiding places in the top and bottom of the tank. My pair of guppies have had babies in my 10g tank even though now I only have 2 babies.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Just build a large pond and throw in a male & 2 females. In a couple months you'll have more guppies than you know what to do with. :wink:

-Chelle

7. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Actually about a week ago I purchased a Sailfin Molly, a Fancy Platy, and a Red Swordtail. So far they had 12 babies which I put in a breeding trap. The Molly didnt lay hers yet.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Good luck! I had to try a couple times to get my feeder guppies to breed now I have like 10 1 month old fry and two pregnant females. I doubt any of the fry from the 2 females will live because the other guppies might eat them and I don't want to stress the female out by moving her.

9. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

oh i hate the fact that pple breed guppies to feed to other fish! ii know its nature and all but still.

i had a load of molly fry drop when i first baught the mum, she gave them the next day.

there now 3months old, as are the gupy fry i got off several mums, and are ready for selling. i have some lovely males, amazing colours which im using to cary the strong gene on, but they think they are so pretty these males i swear they admire themselves in the reflection of the glass!

To breed, id say, just clean water, and when they are inseminated or havea gravid spot, turnt he temp up a bit, it makes giving birth quicker

10. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Yeah actually I am not feeding them to my predators now since I am getting rid of the natives. :|

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yeah, I hope that u don't think that I intent on feeding my feeder guppies to other fish. Right now, I am just breeding them for the heck of it.

12. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

If you just want the babies, and don't want to buy a couple of fish to get a breeding pair, I suggest you look for an already pregnant fish in the LFS tanks. They are pretty easy to find because "livebearers are the rabbits of the fish world", so many of them will most likely be pregnant. Plus you would have more space to raise the babies. Just be careful that you have a place to put all these babies when they grow...

13. M_wm

M_wm New Member

why? and what is going in ur 120g

14. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Well from experience natives are too messy of a fish for aquariums, are alot more succeptible to diseases (mainly ich) because of the colder water, and when full grown need at least 200 gallons. But mainly because right now there is some problems and we can't keep affording to live food for them every 5 days. But before I release them tonight I am taking more last pics and videos. I recorded some videos of them last night (yeah i finally found out how to!!!)... It was fun having them, just too expensive and messy...