1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron and people biking/running by

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by puggleowner, Jul 2, 2004.

1. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

Lately, when I'm walking Cameron and someone either bikes or runs by, she starts barking like crazy and pulling at the leash. I am concerned because it probably sounds to the people going by like she wants to attack them, even though she could never hurt a fly and would probably just chase them and if they tried to pet her, she would run away. Anyway, when someone walks by she doesn't do this at all-- just when they are running or biking towards our direction. Do you think she is frightened by the speed and feels threatened ? Any suggestions on how to curb this behavior?

2. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I'm working on the same sort of thing with Rusty.... I think it's his natural chase response .... it seems like it is so strong in him, it just sort of triggers before he even really thinks first. I think it's the terrier in him, since they are bred to chase and hunt. Is Cameron part beagle? SOmetimes I think these type dogs have a really strng instinct for this sort of thing in them.Rusty would never hurt anyone, but if something moves fast, his little brain just says "CHASE IT!"
    I've had to just really be firm with Rusty, and let him know it's not okay to chase and bark at people. I'm teaching him basic obendience.... come, sit, down, and to heal.... all of that, and it's helping some with the problem. He's learning that I mean what I say when I use my "command" voice, and that although when we walk I sort of let him do his own thing, but when I give him commands, he needs to listen. How old os Cameron? It seems to me like as Rusty gets older, he is improving. But I have to keep up with the training, and keep him understanding that I love him dearly, but I'm also the boss and he needs to listen to me. I've had terriers before, and they can be headstrong... I've heard beagles and some other hounds can be willful also, and need firm training sometimes.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

ok I haven'T read that aritcle yet, but I just wanted to say Luther barks at the wheels of bikes (and lots of people here ride biikes) I hate it but I don'T think of it really as chasing because when I feel he chases something he stays behind it but with bikes he looks right into the spokes of the wheel and barks. I don'T know for Luther I think its more like he wants to attack the wheel and I always wonder is it something in the wheel that bothers him, some sound we can'T here or some small draft of air we can'T feel, but he seems really not to like it. I just ty to advoid busier bike areas.

5. nern

nern New Member

I'm currently working on similar unwanted behaviors with my dogs. I'm pleased to say that I am making progress this week. I've been practicing "Look at me" with both of my dogs everyday for a few weeks now. When the kids are in the yard behind my house Natalie rushes to the fence and barks fiercely...the other day I said "Natalie, Look at me" and she stopped, looked at me and came right to me. Sebastian barks like crazy when anyone comes or goes or when he hears noises from outside....I've been working on the "Quiet" command and that seems to have helped alot but if I can say "Sebastian, Look at me" right before he starts to bark, he focuses on me and then does'nt react to the noises. He also likes to dart after the cats..."Look at me" works for this too. Yesterday, I was so happy when I saw him about to dart at one of the cats because before I could say anything he stopped, looked at me and came and sat on my lap without me even saying anything to him! I've also been using NILIF more consistantly and that seems to have helped alot with getting them to focus on me better as well.

Puggleowner: My suggestion is to teach the "Look at me" cue. It will take practice but I think that it will work...your dog will learn to look at you rather than to over-react during these situations. I've been using a clicker recently but you can use a word (like "Yes!") if you don't have one. I started by saying "Natalie, Look at Me"...the second she glanced my way I clicked or said "Yes!" (before I started using the clicker) and gave a treat and have repeated this several times everyday for the past few weeks. Good luck.

6. nern

nern New Member

After reading a little further today I realized that I was doing that backwards. Your supposed to get the dog to look at you before you teach the cue "Look at me". So I started over today just clicking and treating (without saying word) each time they looked at me.

7. winnie

winnie New Member

Hello, I had the same problem with my lab. She is calm around them now. What i did was, I taught her the word "treat", then I made sure she saw me put treats in my pocket before our walk. I would keep an eye out for the runners and bikers and when i saw one approaching i said "Winnie you want a "treat", then winnies attention was focused more on me, i would hold out the treat and make her sit and keep asking if she wants a treat, once the biker/runner was past us I would give her the treat and tell her she was a good girl. After a while i didnt need the treats anymore, I just make her sit and we wait patiently for them to pass, then we continue on our walk. However this would probly only work if your dog likes treats....goodluck :)