1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Can cats sense death?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Jean, May 1, 2004.

1. Jean

Jean New Member

My Mom rescued a beautiful cat at the shelter many years ago, and they've been close companions ever since. "Jax" is an indoor cat. My Mom is battling breast cancer.

The only thing I remember about Ryan ONeal/Ali Mcgraw movie "Love Story" was Ali's cat disappeared just before she died, and it was explained that cats can sense imminent death, and run away from it.

Was that a Hollywood urban legend, or can cats really sense death?
    My Mom hasn't mentioned why (and I haven't asked), but the past two days has become obsessed with knowing where the cat is at all times.

Thanks,
    Jean

2. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

Of course in a book of cats I read that cats can sense deaf but I dont really think that they will run away from it but try to be with u as much as possible before u leave into the afterlife. :roll:

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I'm sorry about your mother. I hope she has a full recovery. I've known a few people who have had cancer and they also had cats. None of these cats have run away. I do believe animals can sense when we are sick. Also dogs have been proven to show that they can detect/smell cancer. Pretty amazing. I don't believe you have to worry about your mom's kitty trying to run away. If anything her cat may show signs of being depressed knowing that your mom is ill.

4. Hazelnut

Hazelnut New Member

cats and death

One of the cats I adopted came from a home where his owner died of small cell lung cancer. He didn't run away, nor did the other three cats that lived there.

My best to your mom! Breast cancer does NOT have to be a death sentence either. I'll say a prayer that your mom is among those that beat it!

5. Jean

Jean New Member

Thanks for the replies and for all the good wishes about my Mom. What a wonderful community you have here!

6. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

i do beleive that cats can since death and sickness in their owner/owners... when i was in the hospital my cat didnt eat the whole time i was gone she got really skinny...but every time i leave her she refuses to eat shes my girl ONLY!!lol luckily the ppl at the hospital let my parents bring her to the hospital (which was amazing they let her) but thats a long story.... but as far as running away i dont think u have a problem w/ that when i got home from the hopital all 4 (only had 4 at the time) were by my side.... now when the cat is sick and dying sometimes the cat my run away to find a place to die... my cat jason diapeared 4 3 days when he was just about to pass over but he came home luckily and passed away the next morning....but i have had cats that have ran away to die...or hide in the house to die...ive heard that from alot of other ppl to... sorry i know its a lil long im bad at that.... but i wish ur mom the best of luck and shes in my prayers....

7. ilovemykitty

ilovemykitty New Member

Cast are more in tune with this kind of thing than we know. Whe my kitty ad his brother were 3 months old, my sister and I adopted them. They didnt see each other since the day we adopted them (my sister lives in New Haven, CT, and I'm in NY). Jasper (my sister's kitten) got FIP and had to be put down on their 6 month birthday, and Maynard (my kitten) KNEW. He and I were lying ont he couch and I was petting him, and at about 7:35PM, he started cuddling really close to me, and had this horribly sad look on his little face and yowled like i've never heard before. You could actually hear the grief and pain in his voice. My sister called me an hour later and told me that Jasper got put to sleep at 7:35 exacty. Maynard was depressed for the next couple days, even after i explained what happened. My poor baby, I never want to see him that sad again. But trust me, they know.