1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

car attract.... any tips?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Sep 7, 2006.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

has anyone had success with this litter? I just bought some and I'm looking for advice on how you used it....did you just throw it in your old box and wait, or did you scrub it up good or get a new one, then fill it? did you scour (sp?) the room the box will be in first? I'm so lost and I have tried everything. I've tried about every kind of litter out there, clumping and non clumping....I've tried different boxes, additional boxes, moving the boxes and he still insists on using the tile floor in front of where his litter box was first placed....whether the box is there or not. I've scrubbed it a million times with oxy clean then used zero odor. my mom has urine gone left from when their sick kitty had accidents....so as soon as I can get that picked up I'm gonna try that too, even tho my mom didn't think it worked. I've even put aluminum foil there, yet he eventually will go on that too. He's been to the vet and he does not have any medical conditions to cause this behavior. He's 8 1/2 years old and I can't get rid of him, he just would not adjust to any new home, and we would miss him way too much. suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks

*edited to add....his litter box is clean, he'll still go on the floor just after I've bleached his box and done a complete litter change. :(

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I understand Pet Zero Odor (I think that's the name) works GREAT.
    What size box are you using? Perhaps a LARGE big boy box....I know people who buy large mortar pans at Home Depot and use those instead of conventional litterbox. Maybe he just needs more room to do his stuff.
    Or...is he standing up too high in the box and peeing over the edge and it's landing in front of the box. I've heard of boy cats doing that too. They mean well but aim wrong. Tote boxes are good for boys who aim a little too high.

3. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

We have a new housecat at work, who is quite obese. The poor guy always TRIES to go in the litter box, but if someone forgets and gives him one that's too small, he misses. I don't know if his problem will continue after he loses weight or not, but right now we just make sure to give him an extra large litter box.

4. zarate

zarate New Member

Thanks everyone. He has the largest litterbox I could find, but it can't hurt to go get check out home depot and see about getting something bigger. There was a door on the hood of the litter box, so I don't *think* he's peeing out....but maybe his big butt pushed it open just enough and I'm not realizing it. I've since tried one w/o a door too just to see if he didn't like the door, but it didn't make a difference.

And excuse my typo in the subject line. I wrote 'car' instead of cat....I guess that's what happens when you have a grabby 6 month old in one hand and typing with the other.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Before we got our Littermaids, we used a couple of those storage bins that roll under beds.

[​IMG]

-Chelle

6. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Oh yes...Copper is too big for regular boxes and doesn't like the ones with hoods on them. I have one of those but Sabrina is the only one who uses that one...and only occasionally. I have big storage totes (20 gal) that I got from the Dollar Store and I cut a door in the short side. I don't use the lid although I bet you could. Copper gets in there and just sprays away. And most of the time it stays in. Sometimes he goes over the sides of that too but he must be standing on his head and pointing straight up.

7. zarate

zarate New Member

Thanks much for all the tips. I don't recall exactly which day I did all the scrubbing and switching and re-arraning, but after all that I found pee in the litter box!! Boy was the exciting, it honestly made my day.
    I played cinderella and got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the whole tile floor in the laundry room and the bathroom....I used an oxy clean solution. Then I sprayed the area where he liked to pee with zero odor, then I went back and used a lemon scented duster/cleaner and sprayed the whole entire floor, and put a citrus scented air freshener in the laundry room where he liked to pee. And so far, I have not found one ounce of urine on my floor!!!!!!!!!! When I went to check his box that day I didn't find any pee, so I was nervous thinking he was gonna pee on the floor again, but lo and behold the next day when I went to scoop there was pee!!! Tho, I found the shampoo on the floor...meaning he jumped in the bathtub, it didn't look wet, but he's been known to pee in there. That I can live with. But he doesn't like his water dish for some reason, so he tends to drink out of the toilet if we leave the lid up or, he'll go to a faucet. We've been keeping him confined to those 2 rooms when nobody is home. Sorry for the long post....but I was happy to find pee in the litter box. It's been a daily thing that I am now finding, so that's great news! Thanks!

8. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

:eek: That's great!! I know how you feel! Not too many people outside of this board would get as excited for you, but we understand! :D

9. zarate

zarate New Member

Yes, I know LOL.
    Thanks for understanding. I called my mom right away and told her what I found....the line was silent for a minute, then asked if I always get that excited when I find a treasure in the cat box. But she wouldn't know because my brothers cat is house trained...they don't even have a litter box because he goes outside for that. :)