1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by OneWolvesDream, Apr 29, 2004.

1. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

hi,
    i just did a 30% water change and that includes using one of those pipes to clean the gravle. i did a good job and to the ammount that the amoung of water was successfully changed. thought i put new water in and the water is kinda clowdy and i dnt think it had to much to do with the gravel. whats goin on?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You probably just stirred up some waste in the gravel when you were vacuuming. My tanks do it too when I clean them. It generally takes a few hours for them to clear up completely.

-Chelle

3. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I often stirr the water a little too when vacuuming/water changing resulting in cloudy water at times. Try to do it as gently as possible with the tube part that goes in to the gravel. That way you will have less clouding and also be able to vucuum more of the waste because it is still in/on the gravel. Do you have the vacuum thing that attatches to your water faucet? I was reluctant to buy it when I started out but it is awesome and definately worth it! If you do then make sure to empty all of the water out of the tubing before switching from drain to fill. When I started doing that I saw a large improvement. :) color=indigo][/color]

4. OneWolvesDream

thanks for all the help!!! by the next day it was all clear again! thanks

5. J_acon

J_acon New Member

You guys talking about the PYTHON Greavel cleaner right? Looks awesome and everyone said it great and easy to use. Too bad is not sold in here.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Personally I have absolutely no desire to buy a python. If you use it to drain your tank it wastes a TON of water. It does make refilling that tank easier since you can get the water directly from the faucet to the tank w/o using buckets, but I do the same thing with a $5 garden hose and a $3 faucet adaptor.

-Chelle

7. J_acon

J_acon New Member

I do the same, but i did went around looking for the python

8. OneWolvesDream

my pithon came with the fishtank. thats the only place i have seen it at, i have never seen it. it does a great job though. even if it waists allot of water, but yo have to do a25% waterchange and that is the best way t have a clean tank with doing the nessissary water changes.

9. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I got my 65g tank & stand for free. I had no idea that for the bare necessities (lid, filter, hood, 2 LIGHTBULBS and heater, the whole shu-bang) I would spend over $500 and shortly after that at least another $100. I was almost sick to pay around $50 for a vacuum! Thank goodness that I had a persistant sales person (who must use one himself) and was able, with some difficulty, to sell me one! I have done it the old fashioned way when I had a 55g and a 25g in florida that I bought as kits and hated doing it so much that I almost got rid of the set up! Now even the cleaning is almost fun! I don't make a heck of a mess now either! Quick, easy, effective and durable! I have only replaced one $7 part in 3 years of having the python. It's awesome if you were able to make one for less money t_chelle16! I wish I could have! I had no idea that you could get a faucet adapter that would use the water pressure to siphon ad fill! That's great! It's too bad that you can't find one J_acon! In Canada I have seen them almost everywhere that is a large lfs. Do you have a Pet Supermarket, or Big Al's Aquarium Wharehouse, or Pet Cetera (I think) near you? As far as I know these stores carry them. I just looked and the phone # on the bag is 414-355-7000 they are in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This is the info off the bag I keep it in so the # may have changed but I doubt it. The company's name is Python Product's Inc. I'm sure they could ship you one or something! Good luck! If anyone knows of a product this good for algea removal let me know! L.O.L. :y_the_best:

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You can get WATER BED ADAPTORS so you can use water pressure to drain a tank. However, that's not what I use. IMO, using water pressure to drain wastes a TON of water and having 163 gallons worth of aquariums, it's not worth it.

To drain my tanks I bought a regular GRAVEL VAC but replaced the smaller tubing with a 15 foot section of the same sized tubing. So when I drain the tanks I just put the end out a window or door and drain it outside. For refilling I have a 50 foot garden hose and a dishwasher adaptor. THIS PART stays on my kitchen faucet and THIS PART stays on the hose. So when it's time to fill the tank the hose just snaps onto the faucet.

-Chelle

11. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

Thanks for the details Chelle! I would have had no idea what I was looking for (though I never do when I'm in a hardware store)! L.O.L! When it's time for a new one I may just have to give your idea a shot! :D

12. OneWolvesDream

hmmm, not a bad idea!! i will use that next time

13. J_acon

J_acon New Member

OMG, all those parts are the ones used in the phython LOL