1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cloudy water . . .

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Petz8888, Mar 20, 2005.

?

Have you ( and your tank) ever had cloudy water?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I have a 30 gallon tank.
    I moved my sick fish from my hospital tank to my 30 gallon .

2 hours later the water in my 30 gallon tank was cloudy greyish.

How can I clear this up?

What caused this?

WILL THIS HARM MY FISH???????

THanx!

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte (actual numbers please)?

-Chelle

3. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I dont have a test kit to measure that ( :oops: )

I do know the ph is in the normal/ regulare range though.

Sorry.

The cloudy water seems to be getting worse...
    If I look through one end of the tank I can only see something if it moves.

Im going to the pet store ( mine is a great one!!) to talk to their fish expert.

Should I get something to clear up the water?

I changed my filters activated carbon...

That just seemed to make things worse.

So I got rid of 99.5 % of the algae in the fish tank.

Im feeding 1 couple of flakes a day.

Oh the tank has a funny smell about it, what is that smell?

Oh Help!

Petz

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I suspect bacteria bloom, but without those test results, I can't say for sure. You can take a sample of your water to the LFS and they should test it for free but if you do that, make sure to get them to tell you the actual numbers and post them here. But in the long run, you'd be better off buying your own tests.

At this point, I wouldn't buy any chemicals that are supposed to clear the water becasue you don't know what's causing the cloudiness. Any water carifier you add will only mask the problem (if it works at all) and will do nothing about what's actually causing the problem.

-Chelle

5. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

O.k. The nitrates are 0.2

Thats all they tested.

I got a sifone hose to clean the gravel so I emtyed the tank useing that filled it back up ect.

Now it looks fine.

I think my fish is pregnent.

Yah!!! :D

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You should buy your own test kits then. Not only should they have tested ammonia and nitrItes as well, but .2 doesn't sound correct at all for a nitrAte reading. NitrAte tests generally read in 5 - 10 ppm incriments, not decimals. And if your nitrAtes were actually that low (which is pretty darn low), that would mean your tank isn't cycled and you would be having readings for ammonia and nitrIte which they should have tested for but didn't.

I highly recommend getting your own tests and in the mean time keep up with the water changes.

-Chelle

7. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Iv entied the take cleaned it ect. It loioks nice.

The tank is cycled iv had it for 5 mounths and cleaned it twice during that time piriod.

The tank is over stocked though so it might have been a case of high
    readings and then it was fed with all the algae and extra food.

I found a lot of poop and food in the water.

Icv gotten a gravel cleaner for that, and Im getting loaches and another wip tail cat fish.

I know it will increase the over stocking but It will cut down on ecses Amonia.

Thanx!

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You still need to know what your water parameters are. Since the tank is overstocked there very well could be high levels of ammonia which could make the fish sick or kill them.

And you should have done a lot more than 2 water changes in 5 months. Normally, you should be doing them around once a week, but again, without test kits, you have no way of knowing if you should do them more frequently or if you can get by with doing them less often.

Keeping an aquarium without having test kits is like driving blind. You have no idea what's going on in your tank and you don't know if things are starting to get bad until it's too late and the fish start getting sick and dying.

You also shouldn't be adding more fish to an already overstocked tank. They may eat leftover food, but they will also be producing more ammonia.

My suggestion is to cut back on food, do more frequent water changes, and get those test kits.

-Chelle

9. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I meant I actualy clean it like emptying it.
    I do water changes twice a week normaly.

Sorry if I confused you!

Petz

10. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Petz8888, If you completely break down the tank and rinse everything off you will kill out your bacterial filter. This would explain the cloudy water. The tank is cycling all over again and it is bacterial bloom.

11. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

12. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

OH NO NOT AGAIN!

My grandmas 10 gallon tropical tank has it.

Im going to get an Ammonia test kit today.

Im going to get another one next time I get payed.

Im wondering what could have caused this.

Heres the stats so far...

1o gallon tank

4 guppies
    4 small neon tetras ( yes that brand)
    2 giant neon tetras ( " " " "" ")
    1 loach

cleaned tank 1 month ago.

1 water change since Feb.
    ( I know its a loooooong time to go without but I cant drive and I cant find time to get there.)

HELP ( again)

I cant pay as much attention to her tank as mine and she cant do it.
    Ill get those test results as soon as possible!

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You need to test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

Also, I know this may sound harsh, but if she can't take care of the tank, you can't take care of it, and she can't get someone else to take care of it, she really shouldn't have the tank.

-Chelle

14. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I'm alot less busy now the holiday seso is over so now I can take poroper care of them.

If it turns out I cant though Ill sell tem to someone or give them to my friend.

I think I should its just these few months that Iv been having troble.
    Im going to be able tosee her once or twice a week and Ill do work then.
    She feeds them.