1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Clown loach, sick?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Ryan, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

one of my clow loaches might be sick. It looks like he has a heavy "cloudy" slime all over him. What should I do to treat this, salt? Should I put him in another tank?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Don't use salt with clown loaches.

What are your water parameters? Is the slime kind of fuzzy looking?

-Chelle

3. Ryan

Ryan New Member

yeah it is kinda "fuzzy", only my nitrAte levle is high, but every thing else is right on the dot.

4. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I just got home and looked in my tank and the clow loach has seem to cleard up and it sure looks a lot better. But now I have a Blue darf goraumi that is sick FOR SURE... I went to feed them and it did not come up to eat it just stayed on the bottom of the tank kinda tilted on its side with its gils and mouth moving fast. I dont know what It is, should I isolate it and treat it, if so what should i treat it with and what dose it have. please help because it looks bad!

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

also the other fish were bumping into it and it was just being moved around in the rocks!

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

First of all, do a water change to get your nitrAte levels down. Also, please post the actual numbers for ammonia and nitrIte. Does the tank have an air stone? What is the temperature?

-Chelle

7. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I just did about a 40% water change,
    My NitrAte Levle is 3.0
    I dont have a test for ammonia :oops:
    I have an air stone and my temp is 79-81

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What's your nitrIte reading?

If I recall, this is the tank with the balas, right? In which case it's overstocked so there's a good chance that the ammonia and nitrIte are too high, both of which can cause, among other things, heavy breathing and lethargic behavior. You really need to find out those test results.

-Chelle

9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

just did a test strip, hers the results.

NitrAte: 30
    NitrIte: 4.0
    Hardness: soft
    Alkalinity 140
    Ph: 7.0

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The nitrIte reading of 4 is most likely the culprit. The presence of nitrIte decreases the blood's ability to carry oxygen so the fish is suffocating. You need to do more water changes to bring that down to 0. And unless you can get a bigger tank and cycle it ASAP, you really should get rid of the balas. Your tank is overstocked and that's likely a big part of what's causing this problem.

-Chelle

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

How big is your tank?

12. Ryan

Ryan New Member

30 gallon, to day when I got up the fish was dead :cry: and the clow and now the clow loach problem is back, they looked realy good for 2 days, they today two of them looks like they had a cloudy white film on them and less color then the other.

13. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Well on my site, i have a list of diseases, the closest i could find was Chilodonella, this includes a white film, and gasping. The only cure is saltwater treatment, but that cant be done cause of it being a scaless fish.

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm sorry about your gourami. :(

For the clown loaches, it sounds like a fungal infection. Does it look sort of like the film on the frog in the bottom pic?
    [​IMG]

Keep up on the water changes to improve the water quality of the main tank. And it would be a good idea to set up a hospital tank for the clown loaches an start treating with Maroxy.

-Chelle

15. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Um not really, its more of a white cloudy slime thats not that thick. They have just lost a lot of their color.

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

So far, my best guess is a bacterial infection of some sort. Try treating with Maracyn.

-Chelle

17. Ryan

Ryan New Member

im using Mardel right now

18. Ryan

Ryan New Member

after they are "better" should i do a 100% water change?

19. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Mardel is a company that makes several meds inlcuding Maracyn (and also Maracyn two, which isn't the same as Maracyn).

Are you treating the whole tank, or have you set up a hospital tank?

And, no, I wouldn't do a 100% water change. If the pH, temperature, hardness, etc of the new water is too different from the old water, changing that much could shock the fish. If you mainly want to do water changes to get rid of the meds, you can just do a series of smaller water changes (25%).

-Chelle