1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

community of animal cruelty

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by indica, Apr 25, 2004.

1. indica

indica New Member

Hello
    My name is natasha, and i recently posted a topic called protection. I was trying to learn how to teach my dog to protect herself when what i should have bin posting was this.
    I live in a small community (researve) on the out parts of vancouver island. It is an area only accessable by boats or planes and houses about 400 people. The problem i have is with the animals that live here. There are about two or three dogs to every one person that is out here, and much more to come. None of the dogs are spayed or nudered and about 8 months ago a littler of all females was born so you could just imagine what is on the way. Not only that but the people out here make me sick.
    I have lived here for about a year and within a year i have seen more dead cats and dogs then i thought i would ever have to see in my entire life. Every time i go out i see some form of abuse towards animals wether its physical, environmental, ect...
    there is no vet out here, or pound. there is one cop that dose nothing but shoot the dog that is the problem at the time.
    Ive seen a dog hit in the head with a macheddie cut wide open and nothing was done about it.
    a person has walked up onto someones porch and shot a dog infront of its owners and kids. and nothing was done about it.
    Kids get puppies and throw them in ditches and bushes. They take them onto trampolines and see how high they can bounce them.
    I have even heard of a kid admitting to putting rat poison in a sandwitch and feeding it to a little puppy. And that isnt even the extent of it. The environment that all these animals are living in is enough to make any animal lover sick. There is garbage everywhere, because most of the animals are strays or have owners that dont do anything for their dog they just want to have one with their name on it to make them feel special i guess. But anyways their not fed so their all digging in the garbage for whatever they can get. The dogs arent bathed or brushed, and some of them have mats so bad that they look like mops. one dog was helped by another lady that i have a small aquaintance with who cares a little bit. she took him in and cut all his mats off. it was so bad he had big lumps and sores all over his body. and the mats were so bad that thats all he was. so now he is just a little bald dog.
    The worst that i have found is that the cop can only think to shoot whatever dog is the problem. if a dog is hurt lets shoot it. if a dog is aggressive lets shoot it. things like that and he never thinks that maybe its not the dog he should be shooting but the "owners".
    I say if someone owns a dog then its their responsability and if they screw up then why dont they pay for it. why should the dog suffer?
    I take care of my animals and am a very big animal lover. I have books about animal care and i am constantly phoning and posting messages for help because i have animals brought to me that are dieing, from eithor malnutrition, poisoning, being beaten by people and other animals, and whatever else you can think of. I have only bin able to help one animal that has bin brought to me because the people dont care enough to notice something is wrong until the animal is already about to die so all i provide is a nice comfertable warm place to rest their heads till then.
    It is really upsetting to me to constantly be exposed to this sort of behavior and i really want to do something about it.
    I just dont know how or what i can do about it. i would move but there would be no way to pay the bills if it did, and all that would do would just take me away from the animals. instead of staying here and trying to find help for them.
    please help me out in any ways that you can. anything would be appreceated.
    natasha and mocha

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. :D The only suggestion I could think of right now would be to get other larger organizations involved in this matter. I know PETA would go nuts over what is going on in your area and they are very good about getting things done. They do not tolerate animal abuse. So, you may want to write/fax/e-mail them and tell them your story. Also ABC News from the U.S.A. also does cover stories that are unusal at times. You can contact them as well. Also if you have a local news chanel where you live you can contact them too. You may try magazines too.

PETA
    501 Front St.
    Norfolk, VA 23510
    Tel.: 757-622-PETA (7382)
    Fax: 757-622-0457
    E-Mail PETA at info@peta.org

ABC news has a few news shows. So here is a link to all of the shows that you can e-mail your story to.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/service/help/abccontact.html

I wish you luck and I hope one of these organizations can resolve this matter.

3. indica

indica New Member

Those are great ideas thankyou but i dont think that if their not canadian that they will come up here.
    this is quite a ways away from the states and the cost for the trip out here would be very high.
    if their not in the states just let me know
    thankyou very much it is appreceated.

4. footsie

footsie New Member

PETA is an international organization. And media outlets have a lot of money. Going to a remote part of Canada would not be an issue.

5. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. Footsie is right. PETA is international. They will go anywhere! ABC news is known for it's world news. Meaning they will go to any country to get a story. Besides they have reporters living in just about every single country for this very reason (that they cover world news). I hope you contact both of them, especially PETA.

6. babygurl52

babygurl52 New Member

I agree. This can't go on. I suggest contacting 20/20 (Barbara Walters is very good at investigating and getting the story across) or Primetime News (Diane Sawyer is a great investigator as well). I think you should contact both PETA and ABC. PETA will go and help in a heartbeat, and ABC will likely too. Also, many millions of people watch ABC and their News shows, your story will get around and something will be done. And remember, for PETA, money isn't an issue, they care about the wellness of the animals and will get there no matter what. ABC also has no money issue getting there.

7. babygurl52

babygurl52 New Member

I agree. This can't go on. I suggest contacting 20/20 (Barbara Walters is very good at investigating and getting the story across) or Primetime News (Diane Sawyer is a great investigator as well). I think you should contact both PETA and ABC. PETA will go and help in a heartbeat, and ABC will likely too. Also, many millions of people watch ABC and their News shows, your story will get around and something will be done. And remember, for PETA, money isn't an issue, they care about the wellness of the animals and will get there no matter what. ABC also has no money issue getting there.

8. momma

momma New Member

hi hello there i'm so sorry to hear that this is going on. I have live in vancouver, b.c. all my life and to hear this is uncalled for. Personally i know that if you get a hold of the vancouver s.p.c.a and tell them they should do some thing. If they dont and you have a chance to video tape any of the abuse then send that to them.Also we dont have animals out side of the vancouver aqurium because animal rights. There IS something that CAN be done. channel 11 new at 6pm i think its called golbal will deffentilly do something. Plus go and talk with this cop and if you can get your hands on a small tape recorder; tape him saying this and send that in with the video tape footage and i promise you that something will be done. The only question i have is.. Is this being done on the reserve? or in the whole community? And where on the Island are you talking about more details and maybe one of us from vancouver can do something.

9. lil96

lil96 New Member

I am really sorry about this situation

but, I know if it were me in this situation I would have already called and emailed and done everything possible to stop this. Get the info I need and try to stop it. I couldn'T watch it. This is why as I wrote in other post which said the same stuff but on the dog side, I think this is a small town where rumors get started and suddenly blown up. Because how can you sit there and watch this horrible stuff going on and not do anything about it? Peta doesn'T care who or where you are they only want to stop the cruelty! As for ABC or other news stations, I don'T know it might not be a "big" enough story, but I am sure there is something in CAnada that can help you.

10. babygurl52

babygurl52 New Member

If this isn't a big enough story, I don't know what is. You said you've seen so many animals hurt or dieing and no body really cares....that is a news story. There are so many people that care about animals and to find this out, they would be outraged and want to do something. If I were you, I would contact both Canadian AND American News stations. The more coverage, the faster something will likely be done. Plus nearly everyone in Canada gets some American broadcasting whether they like it or not....its on Canadian satellite dishes as well.

11. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I think people here offered good suggestions. I would contact anyone and everyone I could. It's a shame because these defenseless, innocent animals cannot speak up for themselves... cannot defend themselves... they just have to suffer the abuse.

Do you have animal shelters there that investigate abuse? I would try and contact any media outlet I could. If it's that bad, it is a worthy story. I wouldn't worry about their budgets or means to do this stuff. If they can't, they won't. But, many of these places have resources... especially media outlets where they could find their story.

I wish you and the poor animals luck. Since they cannot speak, it's great that you're trying to find a voice for them.

12. indica

indica New Member

thankyou all im going to check out that peta website that you posted and go from there.
    i have alot of people interested in my story and all of you are helping out alot. there is not spca here and the only way to get them here is the way i spoke of before with pictures and all the above.
    keep in touch for me and keep on looking thankyou

13. indica

indica New Member

i emailed the peta link and no one is answering me. i think they are thinking im joking or something. how can i make them believe me. i dont have a camera to take pictures or anything like that so i dont know.
    please help out if you have any ideas
    natasha, mocha, kyle and lilly

14. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. PETA gets thousands of e-mails per day. So, wait a bit longer to see if they reply. If you don't want to wait for a reply, call them. Although, you may have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I left you their number in my other post. You can also fax them. You can also try e-mailing them again. Just copy and paste each time you e-mail, so that you don't have to keep typing a new e-mail each time. Also, were you specific in the exact location as to where you live? Keep us posted.

15. indica

indica New Member

hey i did get a reply but it was an automatic one to my husbands email so i didnt get it right away. they sent me a contact number exactly what you said. i will be phoning them asap
    ill keep you posted
    natasha

16. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Thanks for the up-date. Please keep us posted on what's going on. I hope PETA will be of help to you. Take care and good luck. :y_the_best: