1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Compatable fish for grumpy oscar

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, Feb 3, 2005.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hi Y'all.

I know we've had this topic before but, I am moving into a large apartment soon and I intend to set up a larger aquarium. At present my Oscar lives with a pictus cat, tiger barb and a ropefish (these will be leaving as my O gets bigger)
    My new tank will be between 100gl and 200gl, and I am wondering if anyone can suggest new tank mates for him. He is a tiger O and I would love another chichlid to compliment him ("you're looking nice today Oscar!") :D any suggestions? It doesn't have to be a chiclid, but I think it would be best

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

a tank size of 200 gallons u could add in a few otrher oscars.....100 gallons u could add in another if you wanted.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Some other cichlids (JD, GT, RD, Convict, Acara, etc) could possibly work depending on the individual temperment. Just to make sure everyone has plenty of space, I'd allot 50 - 75 gallons/large fish (10"+ adult size) and 30 gallons for the smaller ones (6"+ adult size).

Or, you could go with schooling fish. And oscar and 4 silver dollars would be nice in a 100 gallon. With 200 gallons, you could go with more silver dollars or 3 or 4 tinfoil barbs or bala sharks.

For a bottom feeder, you could do some type of catfish like a pleco. There's also some types of catfish that get 10" - 18" (can't think of any specific ones off the top of my head, but you could look through http://planetcatfish.com/ and get some ideas.

Some people have been able to keep clown loaches with oscars, but you'd have to get some that are already pretty large.

-Chelle

4. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Try some louches.

They are ver compatible with anything.
    I even saw them with emperer Id sharks.
    They will do it!!!

Ya sharks are agresive so they are definately compatible!!!!

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If by emperor id shark, you mean iridescent shark, then they are not suitable to be kept in aquariums at all. They get 4 feet long, are very active, and prefer to be in groups so they'd need a 1000+ gallon tank.

-Chelle