1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Controlling PH in a CO2 tank..

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Apr 17, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hello guys.. I have recently added a yeast powered CO2 generator for my 16 gallon... But everywhere I am reading that having CO2 in the tank is goign to lower my PH.. they refer to using a Buffering agent.. to keep it stable so that it doesnt go up and down with the different CO2 levels.. my question is you guys say that you do not like those "ph up 7.0" formulas because it flucuates.. however if I have co2 should I start using this stuff?? My PH is already low.. I have done a few water changes and gotten it up to just below 6 but i cant for the life of me get it past 6... do you guys have any suggestions?? I have .1 ppm of ammonia and very mimimal nitrite and nitrate.. with 2 otocats one gourami in the tank.. thanks guys...
    oh yeah its a planted tank as well.. probably 10 plants already

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't have any experience with CO2, but I do know that crushed coral is a good buffer.

Also what are the exact readings for nitrIte and nitrAte? Any amount of ammonia & nitrIte can cause problems (especially for delicate fish like otos) so you might want to do a couple water changes to get those levels down.

-Chelle