1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Could It Be Old Age

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Chezza, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Ok, Jack has been losing some feathers lately, he always had a full bloom of feathers, he has NO lice, he has never been a plucker of feathers, he is about 8 years old nearly 9, could it be due to old age, he is still eating and drinking very well, and active, he has even lost his flight feathers too.. :cry: :cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Chezza,
    Stress, Illness, Iron, Fatty Liver Disease can cause the feathers to drop out.
    I would suggest having him seen by an Avian Vet just to rule out any illnesses that might be causing it. It could be something simple like a skin irritation.

He is not old as he only 9, cockatiels live until they are 25years old some have been known to live longer..

Sorry i couldnt be of more help

Mike

3. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Thanks Mike, Ill do that, as he is a very much loved family member..
    Ill keep you informed..

4. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Ok just found out its scaly face :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: , I was devastated, he is an indoors bird????? :cry:
    Got treatment for him, and its working already..
    How could he get scaly face????????????

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Glad its nothing too serious, Its not quite known how birds get the scaly mite it has something to do with outside birds...

The treatment usually works pretty quick and you notice a change in your bird within a couple of days, Within a week you should notice new feathers coming back in.

While new feathers are growing in i would suggest getting a spray bottle the kind you would mist plants with and mist him daily with warm water this will soften they skin and not cause irritation to your bird..

Let me know how he gets on and i am pleased its nothing serious

Mike

6. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Will Do Mike..Thanks

7. Chezza

Chezza New Member

He is such a gentle soul putting the treatment on...he doesn't like it but is soo good, poor baby..He has been outside, but only thru the day... :?:
    He is looking better everyday..Thank god..

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Glad he is improving, its hard when one of our animals has a problem.
    If the vet has given you enough ointment i would still apply it for a few more days just to make sure that they have all died.

Its heartbreaking when our birds lose there feathers to these nasty little creatures..

I miss having my birds but i had to rehome them all as it was causing my partner to be ill with his asthma and he kept getting chest infections from there dander..

Mike

9. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Ok 3 days treatment and its looking good, but no feathers growing thru as yet, but the scale has cleared up, his feet hadn't been affected, just his cere and the top of his head..

10. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi how is Jack doing? Has his feathers started coming back yet.
    Hope he is back to his old self :)

Mike