1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

:cry: My poor kitty...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by KittyTales, May 19, 2006.

1. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

Kumal was out side today as usual and decided to bring home a bird.I was eating dinner and out of the blue comes Kumal falling out of a tree being chased by an angry mob of sparows!First she dashes under the garage but they get her there and peck at her fragile little body, then she hides behind my dog begging for protection but Bim just chases her away with the sparrows pecking I quickly open the basement door when she dashes in with the birds not daring to enter.When I saw her upstairs she had patches of fur ripped out and litlle blood on her head otherwise she seemed to act normal.I am really worried about her getting into trouble all the time.Any suggestion to make her less troublesome? :?

2. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Dont you think it is wrong her killing all this wild life, no wander the sparrows were angry, they have families to you know.. :( :?:

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you want her to stop - it's simple. Keep her inside.
    Sparrows were probably protecting their nests/chicks to keep your cat from eating their babies.
    I know a cat who had its eye pecked out by a bluejay when the cat tried to get into the nest.
    Keep the cat in - works everytime.

4. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

wasnt this brought up before?
    [-X :0011:
    to deworm her and consider keeping her inside????

before something bad happened to her? #-o

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Every time I hear something like this its just a reminder that even though weve domesticated some animals they still have their natural instincts. Cats are predators, they chase, they hunt and they kill, we even encourage and reinforce these traits every time we roll a ball for them or let them chase a feather on a stick (or any toy on a stick) etc.....but then we 'expect' them to 'be nice and friendly' with all other species including members of their own.

Your kitty is doing what comes naturally and so are the birds, the only way to prevent this is by keeping your kitty indoors.

(and yes, there are pets that dont 'go back to doing what they would in the wild', in the wild dogs and cats wont live together, cats and bunnies wont live together, dog, cats and birds wont live together....all in the same pack....some adjust and some dont).

6. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

I cant kepp her inside all the time she will try all possible ways to get outside and if she doesnt suceed she will start scratching the door and yanking on the door knob and getting all upset which makes me feel sorry for her!She was born in the wild so im assuming thats her instincts that tell her to go hunting.My other cat is terrified thou of being outside and hes scared of anyhing new.

7. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Well another suggestion is to build a kitty run, where she is enclosed but also out side, you can make it as big as you want and make it fun too, the run can be long, wide, have different levels she can jump up onto..
    Or enclose an area like a pergola type set up, where she is outside but also enclosed, then she cannot get into trouble, and it keeps the poor wild life safe too..

8. Whispered

Whispered New Member

Of course, its hard, sometimes to keep your babies inside, but thats why you're the ADult darlin.

Eventually, she'll get to used to being inside. Being kept inside, means playing w/ her, having lots of toys.

Its keeping her safe, from a nasty, painful death.. being poisoned, abused, run over by cars, diseases, etc.

My cats always get "spring fever" and tho I'd love to let them out, they'd hate it!! Its just concrete.. and when I lived in the country, there were lots of raccoons w/ rabies.

Think of the outside, as their tv, make sure they have plenty of window access, chairs, etc.

Remember you're doing them a huge favor, by keeping them in.
    Sparrows, are just a minor threat of what could and will happen.
    Outside cats have an average lifespan of 5 yrs.. thats it.. Inside over 12.

9. aleah_klay

aleah_klay New Member

It sounds like your cat is a bit on the wild side. Nothing wrong with that. But if you want to protect her I think your best option with this one would be a cat run.

I think keeping your cat indoors will only cause her to act out more. and maybe to the point where you'll want to give her away. So to me it sounds like a cat run would be best. maybe even put something live for her to chase in the run once in a while.

It is not wrong for a cat to hunt. It is natural, just as it's natural for the one being hunted to want to protect itself.

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

KittyTales is a minor, not an adult.