1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Culling. Whats your view?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, Dec 11, 2004.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

hiya, well i know this thread has circulated before with someone else launching it, buti had my first day at my LFS today and as i checked the fish, they had one that was on its way out, a red cap oranda.

I was told to bag him, go outside and hit him against a wall till he's dead and then bin him.

I cdnt do it and some one else did it 4 me, and i still cried.

He said that the fish was having problems breathing and that he's in more pain now then if you hit him against a wall.

Is that true?

I just think unless the fish is in dia pain, it shd be left in comfort to die (if theres no pain).

I feel like culling is trying to play god,

No offense to any one who regularly culls, i just wondered how other people feel so that i could try and understand whether its good or bad for a fish.

Thank you.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I feel that when all other means have to tried and the fish is either too far gone or incurable, then yes, euthanasia is probably best. Since I don't know exactly what the situation was at your LFS or what they'd tried so far, I can't comment on if euthanasia was necessary.

That said, I do not consider beating a fish against a wall a humane form of euthanasia. Yes, when done correctly, blunt force trauma can be quick & relatively painless, but I don't think beating it against the wall falls under that category.

Here is a really good article on the humane ways to end a fish's life (most of the info was taken from the American Veterinary Medical Association).
    http://oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13

-Chelle

3. 3_second_memory

thank you so much. I just, well i just dont want to take a fish in a bag out the back of a fish shop and wollop it hard against the wall, espech in the middle of a car park!

Do fish feel pain ?

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i am personaly against culling.

5. 3_second_memory

i looked thru that artica and it made me cry, i mean the only way in hitting the head is to hit it in a certain way to depress the central nervous system.

They then rapidly lose consious.

all v.well, but i havent been briefed on how to cull, just take it out and bang it against the wall, which shows they proberly dont know how to cull either, so theyre causing more pain to the fishy then letting it die naturally, surely?

6. gravity

gravity New Member

The first time the fish hits the wall almost certainly stuns it, but it still seems inhumane. I've heard of sticking a dying fish in a freezer as the rapid temperature decline causes its nervous system to fail. This theoretically means the fish feels no pain.

I'm no expert, but beating it against a wall just seems wrong.

7. 3_second_memory

putting it in a freezer has no gurentee of the brain closing down.

there is no evidence that cooling the body reduces the pain.

(im readin this from the above link!)

it is ok to freeze them in liquid nitrogen.

they say you should anethitise a fish before freezing other wise it is inhumane.

8. gravity

gravity New Member

well, don't listen to me then!

9. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Ive heard mixing vodka in with with works but that seems kind of expensive to me

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Personally, my perferred methods are either feeding it to my oscar (any more I only do that with tiny fry that are basically egg sacs with heads & tails) and decapitation.

I did try the clove oil method on a neon with NTD once, but the oil was expensive, didn't mix well with water, and it took the fish about 15 seconds to die.

-Chelle

11. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Yah I know wat u mean i had a guppy fry that had birthdefects and wasnt workin out to good eg being picked on, tormenteed i was surpised how mean a guppy can be, and i fed it to my jack dempsey

12. 3_second_memory

no, gravity, i want trying to get at you Plz dont take it the wrong way, i appreachiate all your comments.

Thank you.

xx

13. gravity

gravity New Member

Yes, I know. I was being a smarta$$ :0020:

I'm going to probably give the vodka idea a shot (ha!) the next time I need it.

14. 3_second_memory

hehehe, that was so silly, but it was so funny. hehehehehehe.

Just didnt want any misunderstanding.