1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Vitamins

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MonsterBailey, Apr 28, 2004.

1. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Okay, I'm curious....

Do any of you give your dogs daily/supplemental vitamins ?? I've heard of lots of people who have... but my vet never suggested it for Bailey. Granted, he's still a puppy (well, at least for another week! hehe) and very healthy, but I was thinking that maybe he should be on some sort of daily vitamin. Part of me thinks it wouldn't hurt.... and part of me wonders if it's a good idea, especially since he's on an excellent brand of food.

NOW BEFORE YOU EVEN SAY IT... YESSSSSSSSSS I plan on asking the vet...... :) but just curious who out there are giving their dogs vitamins. If so, is there a particular reason why? and what brand?

2. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I use the nuVet plus ,I think ...I will have to look again ,but I use several types .One is for puppies and another for adults and some for dogs with proibelms ,like I have one Westie that has bad skin problems .he is a rescue and he is on one type ,the my zena has alot of allergies and besides benedryl ,she is on another type and then I have these chewable ones and all love them ...I will look at the name again ,I have changed them several times to get the kind they like and I like the most .

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

my friends uses them on her dogs, it is really good for the dog, but i do think it is best that you ask your vet

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

No, I don't give Mickey & Tigger any vitamins only b/c I, nor my vet (along with other vets I have spoken with), feel as though they are needed for MY two dogs. My vet runs a blood panel on them every once and a while to check for any problems, one of them being nutritional deficiencies (or too much of certain nutrients as well). So far, every blood panel has come back with EXTREMELY positive results, therefore she recommended that I keep on doing what I'm already doing. She explained that she feels it is best to leave things "as is" so not to mess with what is already in excellent standing. However, she does promote the use of vitamins if there seems to be sort of problem where vitamins might be of some help.

Such and opinion seems to be the general consensus from the vets that I have personally spoken with. However, as we all know, there are varying opinions on just about every subject known to man, so the opinion I present is just one of those for which I stand by.

Have a great day! :D

5. Jas

Jas New Member

My dogs are supplemented with vits & such because I prepare their diet. With kibble fed dogs caution needs to be taken not to throw off what is already supposed to be a balanced diet as adding additional vits may do this (unless there is a found deficiency/problem). I would suggest consulting with a canine nutritionist.

Cheers
    :)

6. nern

nern New Member

I don't add supplements. My dogs seem to do well without them so I've never thought they were necessary. I worry about excess nutrients doing more harm than good.

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Thank you everyone for your information and opinions on this!!

I will definitely ask the vet about it when Bailey goes for his yearly checkup in a couple of months. :)

You're all the best!! MUCHO APPRECIATED-O! :)

8. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

9. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Ok I know this is an old topic but I must have missed it before. I am currently giving my girls vitamins but I wonder if I should have a blood pannel done of them to see if I need them. I just started them on the vitamins a few months ago but maybe they are unnecessary. You guys are always giving me something to think about! LOL.

10. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Yesa i too give NuVet Plus . They do alot of things for your dogs but, most of all i have nursing mothers and pups can suck all the calcuim out of them.

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I give sasha a supplement almost identical to missing link. The senior pack with glucosamine chondroitant in it. Plus a bunch of other good things. The difference in seatec's is it has spirulina in it. It is all natural, from Hawaii.

12. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Bailey should be going for his annual check up pretty soon, so I'm definitely going to ask the vet about the vitamins. :)