1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

did anmials sense the tsunami

Discussion in 'General Topics & Support Issues' started by honeybears, Dec 31, 2004.

1. honeybears

honeybears New Member

just heard the most interesting story, there is a wildlife park in Sri Lanka that was hard hit by the tsunami that has 100s of elephants, gorillas leopards, and much more. researchers are saying they cant even find a dead rabbit, nothing, no dead animals. they think some of the anmials sensed danger with enough warning to flee and others followed. they said it could hve been smell, or vibrations that warned them the reserchers are baffled.

honeybear

2. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

I had heard that also. And i've heard it before where animals have sensed other types of natural disasters before they happen. Just one more good reason to have pets :mrgreen: I definitely feel a lot safer with my critters here to protect me!

3. Bente

Bente New Member

I have no doubt that they did. Animals instincts and senses is impressive! :shock:

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

it reminded me of years ago, my cat was acting real crazy, not the norm at all. I am thinkin uh oh, earthquake and touch a bunch of breakable things down, well about 8 hours later, we had a 5.0 earthquake

honeybear

5. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I truly think that animals have a sixth sense when it comes to anything pertaining to nature. They seem to be more aware of what is happening than we are.

I've had dogs that could predict a storm or rain better than any meterologist.

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I think they can

The same thing happened with Rocky. The day we picked him up from getting neutered he was in his crate (the small one he sleeps in) and when he's in it he hardly makes a sound, but when we picked him up he was in the living room barking and barking in his crate. Then we had a little tremor (not that big but noticable, we hardly ever get earthquakes in Toronto)

7. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Omy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THat is sooooo cool!!!!!

8. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I've heard that geologists say earthquakes actually make the earth ring like a bell. The animals aren't just sensing impending quakes, they're hearing something we can't.

On the other hand, I live in an area that is not only prone to earthquakes, we also get a lot of tornados. I don't know if the animals hear the tornados before we do, or if they're sensing changes in air pressure, humidity and static electricity, but they sure do seem to know when one is coming. When I find the dog laying in the bathtub, I know it's time to head for cover.

9. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I've found that I can predict a storm was more accuratly than a meteorologist can just my working my horse. If he's acting insane, i know that bad weather's coming. if he's acting normal i know that there will be no change. if he's really hot then i know that good weather's coming, he's usually right on. within a few days, or even a few hours the change hits.

10. maxkicker

maxkicker New Member

hehe i remember when i lived in florida it would rain with no warning at all the sun would still be shining while it rained my dogs would always follow me around the yard but it never failed about 20 min b4 it rained they would always run to the dog house and stare at me like i was crazy lol i love memories

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i am impressed with animals sences they say its because they are more in tune with nature than we are and can tell when things are not right.
    Its the same with ghosts animals can see and sence there presence.
    I have to say we are lucky here in the UK as we do not get earthquakes or tornado's but its nice to know our pets can tell something is not right.

Mike

12. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Mike,
    did you ever read a book called Fluke? by James Herbert (I think)...
    If not I think you would like it. I saw the movie too but it didnt do the book any justice at all.

I have no doubt that animals can sense upcoming changes in the weather, earthquakes and things that we dont even know are there, I think thousands of years ago when our own senses where essential to survival that humans could probably sense these things too, its only through evolution and not having to rely on them that we have lost that ability. (Just my opinion)

13. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

I have no doubt that the animals heard the tsunami hours before it hit. The birds in the pet shop I used to work at would go crazy 2 to 3 hours before a thunderstorm would hit. They have extremely sensitive hearing and could hear the thunder way off in the distance while there were blue skies overhead. They were as accurate as doppler radar.

14. yogi

yogi New Member

animals 6th sense about weather

For over 20 years there was a radio weather man in Oregon that used the small dairy farm that butted up to an alley way behind the radio station to predict the weather. He caught on shortly after observing the cows over a short period. He discovered that when they stayed close to the barn area that it rained each time. When they were half way between the barn area and the main grazing area 50% chance of rain. When they were on top of the hillside far from the barn weather would be sunny. He said for over 20 years he was never wrong and was more reliable even when doppler weather program came around.
    My Malamute/Wolf was able to sense thunder and lightening on average of an hour before I ever heard it. He was so sensitive to it that all 160lbs of him would try to climb thru the pet door that was for my Min Pins. He also never missed a beat in nearly 16 years. Humans have them also but instincts are one of those things that go by the way side with civilizing.