1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Difference in dog breeds

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bellack1, Aug 10, 2005.

1. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

I dont mean to be ignorant or upset anyone but...

what is the difference between an alaskan malamute and a alaskan huskey and a Siberian Husky?

sorry if i anger anyone. I adore these dogs but to me they all look similar and in a few years I would like to get one

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Malamutes are generally bigger (sometimes twice the size of a Siberian Husky), the eyes are brown, Siberians can have brown eyes, blue eyes or one of each, the ears on the Malamutes are set further apart and their heads are generally bigger, the muzzles are bigger, Siberians muzzles are more 'pointy' than Malamutes.
    Alaskan Huskies were bred from Siberian Huskies, Ive heard a few different breeds were mixed in there, theyre about the same size as the Siberians but their coats are not as dense, they can have the different coloured eyes, the Siberians are generally more hardy than the Alaskans.

Does that help??

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Alaskan Malamute (keep in mind there is about a 20-50# difference in these sizes)

[​IMG]

Siberian Husky

[​IMG]

Alaskan Husky

[​IMG]

On this website, if your scroll down it gives you a chart for size, weight etc on various husky type dogs.

http://home.swipnet.se/canidae/canidae/ ... uskies.htm

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Aside from the physical differences, there are personality differences too.

Malamutes are extremely strong. They're like draft horses, bred for strength and pulling ability rather than speed. They're serious minded, and aggression or dominance issues are common, especially dog aggression between females.

Siberians were bred for speed and stamina. They're more active, more vocal, and need a lot more exercise than the Mals. They can also show some dominance issues, but not as often as with Mals. Some lines can be down right hysterical they're so high strung.

Alaskan Huskys are a racing hybrid. They're more of a type than a breed, and can show differences in temperment according to what other breeds are in the mix. They can be difficult to train and handle, just like a race horse. And they like to run, so good fencing is a must.

5. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

thanks guys that really does help a lot! :eek:

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Great info! Never be afraid to ask questions like that. No one will be offended at a request for information, especially when it means you are researching a breed you are thinking of getting BEFORE you actually get it and are having problems. :)