1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hit your dog?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Mix Breed lover, Aug 25, 2004.

1. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Very well said, loves-da-pits.

2. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

if that persons means what i think they mean then well said loves da pits!

maybe your dog needs to 'pop' you and 'get you in the face' horse_child? id preffer my dog to run away and eat poison than making her fear me. you obviously dont have a clue about dog training if you have to smack [or whatever it is you describe, 'pop' 'get her in the face' whatever] your dog to stop her from running away.

3. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Ok, before I start here, please don't take any of this personally. I'm only telling you my reasoning.
    A. none of you know my dog, when it comes to anything but the hill a firm NO! is all that is needed. She is a black lab and gets hot in the summer. Even though we have provided 3 ponds for her to lay and soak in( can you tell how much i love her? putting in 3 ponds for her?)she uses the neighbors, and is also feed up there, so she'll be unhealthy and fat and if she gets the tiniest bit of chocolate she seizures. she ate a chocolate chip and seizured.

B. The only thing i want her to fear is the hill and being on the hill because that is the only place she gets in real trouble.

C. When i say "get in her face" i mean i yell and say NO! and point my finger at her.

D. When I say "pop her" I don't mean i hit her, i mean cupped hand on the butt, not hard, but not a tap either.

E. I don't really care for any of you telling me how to train my dog. I got these suggestions from PROFESSIONAL trainers. where i live is very dangerous with rogue dogs, mountain lions, bob cats, moose, elk, a deer that killed my neighbors dog. I don't care how much she hates me for those few minutes, i would hate myself even worse if i had to go scrape her body off the highway or go and look for it in the woods, or watch her suffer and die from poison. I don't know about you, but i would rather have my dog hate me for a few minutes than have to hate myself when she dies for not fixing the problem while she was still alive and I was able to fix it.

Again, don't take any of this personally, because it's not meant this way. I hate it when people tell me how to train my animals when they DON'T know how they act and they DON'T know my situation. I want to be safe and i want my dog to be safe only because i love her.

4. Minervasmomma

Minervasmomma New Member

Good for you reporting this jerk!

Minnie only gets a light smack on the butt when she totally disregards voice commands. Though when she gets into one of her moods, though - I'm the one that has to walk away! Poor BF can't stand it - there is at least one moody chick in the house at any given point in time!

5. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

horsechild: OK, sometimes it's hard to acurately described what we mean or the emotion of something in writing. So, I will simply say, that I respect your opinion to do whatever you feel is the right course for you and your dog. I don't agree with you, but, not everyone agrees with me on everything either.

One of the things I respect most about this site is the way we allow other people to have their own opinions, even when we are opposed. And that we can respectfully disagree or debate an issue.

So, I respectfully disagree with you, but respect your right to express your own opinion.

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

horse_child: I know you love your dog. I never implied you didn't.

But if I understand you correctly, when you walk your dog on the hill, she is not leashed. Only a very well trained dog that is trained in voice command should be off a leash. That way you are in control if you dog should come across poison, other animals, snakes, or simply running off and being hit by a car. A training lead and firm "one word commands" is all that is needed to keep your dog safe. Hitting and a lot screaming and yelling, fingers pointed in their face does nothing but make a dog afraid of you. They are not capable to decipher that all that commotion means "They're in Danger". Your dog just knows you're screaming, yelling, hitting and she's going to be frightened by your anger. Most dogs will "bite" what they're afraid of.

If you're getting advise from a trainer who says it's o.k. to not have your dog contained on walks and to be physical in training, talk to another trainer.

I know the majority of people here say they've "spanked" their dogs. A lot of people do. They spank kids so they spank their dogs. But to discipline a child and training a dog is totally different.

A large percentage of dogs that end up in shelters are from families who say their dogs have bitten them and they have no control. I'm just guessing they hit and screamed at their dog as a form of discipline.

Please talk to another trainer.

7. stravieso

stravieso New Member

I'm so glad you reported him. I just can't imagine how anyone can punch a dog in the face. Since my puppy is so tiny I could not imagine even a little spank. For now, "no" is working but if need be a light spank when she's bigger might just do the trick. As for punshing...NEVER. That's animal abuse. I don't care how big or small the dog is.

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I really think we need close this because, this is one of those subjects that will go on and on on who is right and who is wrong. and its no win situation, getting tempers flared.
    :(

honeybear

9. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Ahhhh! Now I understand. All of us are on a TOTALLY different page! Ok, let me get you on my page. I live in the mountains, I don't walk my dog. She stays outside when I'm home. She stays outside alone with Ginger. We are in a little valley type thing. All our other neighbors are up and over a big hill. This is where her favorite pond is, where the poison is, and where the table food is. Now when i go inside my dog waits for a few minutes then sneaks up the hill because she knows she shouldn't be up there. Sometimes i see her on her way up the hill and i go out in the deck and yell for her to come home. She stops, sits, looks at me, gets up, turns away from me, and finishes her run up the hill. This is when i get the 4-wheeler and go up to get her. WHen i get her that is when i yell at her and "pop" her on the butt and tell her to get home. I NEVER walk her up that hill because it isn't safe. I never take my dog anywhere that isn't safe for her and i. I put myself in danger when i go and get her. I never know what i'll find when i go up that hill to retrieve my dog. all my neighbors are great, but the mountainous surroundings and teenage drivers driving 50 mph around a blind corner can make it hazardous. Ok now i hope you understand what is going on.

honeybears, you're right, we should drop this subject because we all have different thoughts on these things.

loves-da-pits, i'm sorry you didn't understand, that is my fault, and please pm me if you are still unclear on the situation. :D

Sarge's Mom- thanks for the advice, mabye i will talk to a different trainer. I have alot of things going on right now and i'm really glad that hopefully we understand eachother now. also pm me if oyu have any concerns.

By the way, i take my dog anywhere without a leash, she's not trained for that. :wink:

10. Mix Breed lover

Mix Breed lover New Member

Well he lost his dog. They came and took him and now my friend isn't talking to me. I don't care. I wanted to do what was best for the dog. I am sorry if peoples tempers were flared but really this subject was about down right animal abuse. I don't hit my dogs. Never will. I myself believe even a light smack or pop is wrong but that doesn't mean I don't respect everyones opinion. Parker is very well behaved and I have never hit him. I just say "no" and that is all it takes. It has taken allot of work and patience but it has worked for him and me. Honestly I was interested in other peoples views. After all even the so called "experts" have different views. I myself have done allot of reasearch via the internet and talked to trainers and I decided what was best for me and Parker. That is what everyone does. So even though we all may do things differantly, that doesn't mean anyone is wrong. I think the whole point in a forum like this is to express are views and give examples and help each other. I hope to keep useing this forum because I think you are all really great people and you have helped me so much already. So yes I would say it is time to close this topic. Thank you all. Stacey

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

You did the right thing for the dog stacey.

12. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

THANK GOODNESS!!! That poor dog out of the hands of his abusive owner is well worth the hardship you are now experiencing with your friend not talking to you...JMO!

I hope your friend soon realizes that you did that dog a great favor by having him/her removed from the situation, and hopefully she'll come to her senses and thank you one day for reporting the abuse! :y_the_best:

Best wishes! :D

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

What happened to the dog? Did he go to a shelter or a foster home?

14. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Stacey- You did the right thing. If your "friend" is not speaking to you, then maybe she wasn't really a friend. I certainly don't know anything about her, but you did the right thing by protecting an innocent animal. Does this guy maybe hit your friend too? I hope she comes around to see that you were not trying to hurt her, you were trying to help the dog. Your brave and I am proud to know you here.

15. Mix Breed lover

The dog went back into foster care. He really is a sweet little boy. The reason he punched him is that he took some food from his daughters hand. That's the only thing I feel bad about. There kids lost there dog but I think it's better for them to not wittness that kind of abuse towards an animal. After all kids learn from what they see and I don't want them to think that it is okay to punch or hurt any animal. I just can't understand why people bring a dog into there home and expect it to know how to behave. Do you bring a newborn baby home from the hospital and expect the baby to do what you want it to? No, so why do people think dogs just automatically know how to obey? Thank you all for your support. My friend will come around. I'm sure. She is a dog lover too. She will soon realise that I did what she should have done. The dog (Buddy) will be better off.

16. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

Are you kidding me? He punched him for taking food from the daughter's hand? That is nuts-- I am so so glad that dog was taken away from them, and hopefully they never get a new dog!!!

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I agree it is better for the kids to have learned that abusing an animal is wrong than to witness abuse repeatedly. It's a difficult lesson, but hopefully it will stick with them. How long did they have the dog?

18. Mix Breed lover

They had the dog only about a month Jamiya. They used to have a boxer but he died a few years ago. Before I met them. I don't know if he treated him that way but regardless it was in my power to stop the abuse so I did.

19. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Jamiya!!!! When did you become a moderator????!!!!??? I've only been gone 2 days!!!

20. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Mix Breed Lover, good job!!! People who abuse their pets like that shouldn't have them. I hope the dog gets a good loving new home. If your friend isn't talking to you then he/she isn't really your friend. you did the right thing and you should feel good about that.