1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog trivia question ?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DeLaUK, Sep 27, 2006.

1. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Anyone help me out with this one?

Other than the fact that most people are right handed so it feels natural for dogs to be walked/trained on the left is there an 'origin' for this....all I can think of is
    1. hunters...right handed then shotgun would be in right hand at rest, would not want dog in way when raising gun ready to shoot.
    2.Dogs themselves see things slightly differently from their left....well not differently but they are more aware of wider area on the left.

I know that show rings, some obedience, some agility wont allow them on the right but where did this originate from. Some countries (I think Belgium( works them on the right and some organizations work them on left and right (I think some guide dog assoc. and therapy dog assoc.s)

Thanks.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Good Question, Shame i dont know the answer, ITs the same as when mounting a horse this should always be done from the left again no idea why.

As for the dogs i have always walked my dogs on the left but that said since they were puppies they themselves walked on the left so must be some sort of instinct lol

Sorry i couldnt be of any help

Mike

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Horses are mounted on the left because of the scabbard and sword being on a person's left and would be in the way when the knight, cavalrymen etc.. mounted if he did so from the right. The reason we mount on the left of a horse was practical back in the day because most of the only people mounting them were soldiers and knights...with weapons hanging on the left.

As for dogs... Only noblemen had hunting dogs...the rest of the people didn't have dogs or didn't have dogs to hunt with...anyway most all dogs were used for hunting which is likely why you walk a dog on your left...same thing as with horses.

There's just some folks who have broken with tradition regarding the side of mounting or walking a dog.

Sara

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Thanks....I sent an email to a couple of trainers I know and one of them said that it goes back years to working dogs....the owners would have the gun and holster on the right so the dogs would walk on the left so as not to get in the way of the gun. So, I was there with the hunting theory.....he also informed me that I was off with the vision thing, each dog is different....maybe thats more to do with right or left handed (pawed) dogs....must have just worked with a lot of right pawed dogs over the years :oops: