1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Emergency with Dwarf Frogs.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, Jan 14, 2005.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

I got my mum four dwarf frogs 4 xmas, 40litlre tank with some minnows,

I think weve had one frog death and it died from having a white fluffy coating on its body. One of the other frogs got it but its gone again

is this part of the slime paracite or am i off in the wrong direction? what could it be?

Wd anti slime+velvet treat them?

Thank you.
    xx

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? ADF's are somewhat sensitive to poor water quality and extremely sensitive to most meds. It sounds like it could be bacterial or fungal or it could just be excessive shedding cause by poor water quality (they normally shed around once a week, but will do it more often if water quality is poor).

I would hold off treating with meds for the time being because, like I said, they are extremely sensitive to most meds.

Could you maybe post a pic of it? Here's an ADF getting ready to shed. Did it look anything like this?
    [​IMG]

-Chelle

3. sleeper

sleeper New Member

On a related note, what are the group behaviors of ADF's? At least in anyone's personal experience. I have one in a tank with a pleco and some mollies, and I could fit up to 2 more by the inches-gallons rule... do they interact/fight/play/form groups? Or would they just be three separate frogs in a tank?

4. tski22

tski22 New Member

Good Post Chelle. Shes said alot or very incitful info and i would listen to her. haha it was probably shedding, that would be my guess. Again good post. -tl

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In my experience and from what I've heard from others who have kept them, they generally get along fairly well (they can also be kept individually, though). They may fight at times (mine fight a little over food and males may fight over a female), but I've never heard of 2 ADF's killing or maiming eachother. They also don't really bother other fish.

-Chelle

6. 3_second_memory

im not sure on its readings yet, iv just re-stocked on them to measure it all. My mum thought it may be shedding, but one died, and we havent found it. Ill get me mum to look at the pic and then ill get back to you.

Thank you

7. 3_second_memory

no it wasnt like the pic: it looked like well you know when you get a wet tissue it goes all soggy and seethru, this is what it looked like on one foot, as if it was restricting his toes. It wouldnt come off even to my mum tried to get it off him gently.

Any ideas?

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sometimes when they're almost done shedding there will be a big piece of the skin hanging off of one of the back feet and it sort of looks like wet tissue (my male ADF was like that last night but I didn't think to take a pic).

Or it could have been a fungal infection (I think I might have a pic around here somewhere) maybe from an incomplete shed. True fungus generally grows on wounds, but if the frog had a difficult shed and there was still bits of dead skin left on the foot, the fungus could have grown on that.

When you looked for the possibly dead frog, did you move around all the decorations? How long has it been missing? ADF's are really good at hiding. I've gone a week w/o seeing my male ADF.

EDIT: If you look at the Sept 5 & 8 pics, you can see some fungus on her rump.
    http://chelle.mine.nu/Pets/Illnesspics/adfdropsy.jpg

-Chelle

9. 3_second_memory

im ina rush at mo, but my mum did move all the bits in the tank and she's gunna do a water change today, if there is a fungal thing, shd i put melafix in? or are these still too strong for the frogs?

ill look at the pics another time sn, wit my mum..

there apears no open wounds or hurt bits on the frogs or any of the fish!

thanks

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You can use Melafix with frogs, but I would only use a 1/2 dose. A full dose likely won't kill them (unless they're really weakened to begin with), but it will really irritate their skin. That said, I really don't think Melafix would help a whole lot with a full blown fungal infection (it's more a a healing aide and infection preventative).

You can use Maroxy, but I'd do it in a hospital tank. You can use a full dose, but definitely don't overdose.

-Chelle

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

12. 3_second_memory

ill look at them, thnk V.much