1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Figure Eight puffer question Please help?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Used, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Used

Used New Member

I went to my lfs and they had about 15 half inch figure eight puffers. Well I have a few questions about caring for them:

1.)Can I keep one or two in a 2-2.5 gallon tank and then when they get bigger move them to a bigger tank?
    2.)How much instant ocean salt should I use for a 2-2.5 gallon?
    3.)What kind of food do you feed them?
    4.)What live plants live in brackish water?

Any suggestions?

If the puffers can't live in that small of a tank than what other fish do you suggest. Besides a betta. :eek:

2. tski22

tski22 New Member

The figure 8 puffer would need at the very least 20 gallons alone fully grown. You would have to add 1/4 of a cup of salt per gallon so if you started it in the 2 gallon tank 1/4 X 2 = 1/2 cup of salt. Puffers will take frozen food such as brine shrimp or krill. As far as plants go I know there are a few plants that thrive in brackish water but I dont nkow there names offhand. Your best bet would probably be jsut to get fake plants. Puffers also like a sandy bottom so keep that in mind, and there very agressive towards there own species especially. Good Luck. -tl