1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fish List for 55 Gallon

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Heather&Nicole, Aug 3, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

Ok, here's where I'll get in trouble :shock:

Most people say to either treat each bucket or treat the tank first before adding your water.

I have always just refilled the whole tank, then added my dechlor. According to most, this is the wrong way to do it. But heck, there's even been times I've forgotten the dechlor altogether :roll:

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I know a lot of people (myself included, but I don't have chlorine in my water) who will just hook a hose to the faucet and fill the tank directly from there. They will either just add all the dechlorinator in the beginning or after they've added half the water.

As for how much water to change, 25% per week is a good start, but you really need to just watch your nitrAte and you'll eventually figure out how much and how often you need to do water change it to keep it below 20ppm.

-Chelle

3. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

Do you reccomend any certain test kits for nitrates/chlorine?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The main tests you need are ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. pH, KH, and GH are nice, but you don't really need them. Personally, I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid tests.

As for chlorine, most cities have chlorine and/or chloramine in their water so you'll need dechlorinator. I live in a small town and recently found out the whole town uses well water. Plus we plan on installing a water filter soon and among other things, it's supposed to remove chlorine. Out of curiosity, I bought a test for chlorine & chloramine and that's how I found out I don't have any in my water so I don't need to use dechlorinator. You can go ahead and buy the test, but chances are, you're going to have chlorine & chloramine.

-Chelle