1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Flowerhorn Information Article ...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by grnlemonade, May 31, 2005.

1. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

Common Name: Flowerhorn.

Other names: Luo-Han.

Scientific Name: N/A, this fish is a hybrid of many different Cichlids.

Family: Cichlidae, specifically Central and South American Cichlids.

Distribution: First created and most common in Asia, Flowerhorns are
    making their way over to the western hemisphere gradually.

Size: Flowerhorns usually grow to a size of 10"-12", but some have been reported growing to a size of 18".

Diet: Omnivores, a mixed diet is usually sufficient. Flowerhorn will accept a range of foods from pellets to live food. Some food I recommend is Hikari Cichlid pellets, Grand Omega Supreme, and other Various Large Cichlid foods. Also, Flowerhorn will readily accept bloodworms, Feeder fish (although highly recommended not to in order to keep your prized fish in top health), Brine shrimp, and Shrimp.

Water Temperature: Relatively warm water, ranging from 80-88 degrees Fahrenheit should be sufficient.

Water Chemistry: Typical South American Cichlid water chemistry, with a PH of 6.0-8.0

Lifespan: This is a newer breed of fish, so specifics are unknown. Most breeders speculate 5-10 years.

Sexual differences: Males, if they have good genetics, Will generally Form a Nuchal Hump. This is not to say that all males will, because some males will either grow a small one or not one at all. Also, a few High Quality females have been known to form a Nuchal Hump, but they usually not nearly the size of a High quality Male's. Also, females can start laying eggs from the size of 3" onwards. Females lay a new batch of eggs on average every month or two.

Temperament: Highly aggressive, best kept alone or with a breeding partner of their selection (they won’t pair of with just any fish you add, they need to both get along with each other and like each other. They have personalities just like humans in this area, as that you can’t pair off any two people that you want.)

Care: Easy-Moderate, Flowerhorn are very hardy fish.

Tank Level: Bottom, Middle, and Top.

Breeding: Egg layer, the female will dig a pit in the substrate and lay her eggs there. After that, she will guard the eggs and won’t let another fish by them. She is sometimes accompanied by her mate guarding the eggs. The eggs hatch after about 72 hours. After the fry are free-swimming, the parent's jobs are finished. The parent fish will continue to guard the fry, as most cichlid parents tend to do.

Personality: In general, they are extremely outgoing and almost never skittish. The more aggressive Flowerhorns will actually try to attack anything that enters "their" aquariums water, or will try and attack someone through the glass of the aquarium.

Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallons is the bare minimum for one Flowerhorn, and as with most fish, the higher the gallon sizes the better.

My female before I sold her, guarding the eggs she just laid.
    [​IMG]

One of my Flowerhorn.
    [​IMG]

Another one of my Flowerhorn.
    [​IMG]

Yet another picture of one of my Flowerhorn.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there is not really a set way a Flowerhorn may look. They come in varieties of colors and pearls (the bright little spots on the Flowerhorns are called pearls)

If there is anything I forgot to add, please PM me and tell me and ill make sure to add it right away.

Also, if anyone has access to a video-hosting site, can you PM me about it? I would like to make a small video or two showing how aggressive Flowerhorn may be. Thank-you

Comments and feedback is highly appreciated.

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Very informative! Did you come up with the information by yourself or no?

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

thanks. yes, after about a year now of learning about Flowerhorns from various people and a forum and my own personal experience with mine, i came up with that profile.

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

We should have other fish profiles.

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i agree. if everyone could make maybe one or two profiles on their "specialty" fish then maybe we could have a new forum created to hold them all, that is if it would be ok with auspetian.