1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Foal on the way

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by Horse_Lover, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Horse_Lover

Horse_Lover New Member

:D New foal on the way!!!!! :D

I know about caring for a new foal, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or tips that would help me care for the foal when he's born.

2. Flamin_Hooves

Flamin_Hooves New Member

3. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

Congrats on the foal :D . We have a temp Mare here named Sassy she's a temp because right when she came t us my 27 year old Brother told us he was interested in adopting her. Thing is she's 2m Pregnantand he's not interested in the foal. So we figure once the foal is weened and starting training and getting ready to go up for adoption he can take Sassy home.

I absolutly love Foals good luck

4. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

Um here are some things most you probley know. Im sure you know your mare has to have her booster vaccinations 30 days prior to foaling.Make sure the Caslick is opened at least one to two weeks prior to due date.
    You should have a enema and umbilical dip on hand. You should probley call the vet if your mare doesent have a full milk bag within one week of her due date or if her milk runs consistently prior to foaling for more then three or four days. If theres heavy labor (pushing) persists for 20 minutes without any sign of the foal protruding from the vulva. If the placenta is not eliminated within three to six hours of foaling.
    The foal should rise with in an hour of birth is not something could be wrong.Premature placental separation or "red bag" requires immediate attention. If the bag covering the foal is red instead of milky white, the person attending foaling should break (tear or cut) the bag immediately and assist in complete presentation of the foal or it will suffocate within minutes. Call the vet once the foal is on the ground.

Those are all I got from my book and common knowledge fron Sunshines birth.

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

As far as the milk goes. Thats not always true. I've been foaling and breeding since I was knee high to a grass hopper. My App mare did not drop (milk wise ) untill 2 hrs before foaling. I've also had mares drop milk two weeks before foaling. SO Its realitively normal. Just be cautious when you see milk forming. You'll know she's getting close when you see the ends wax over. (looks like two white wax plugs in theends of the tits)

Another thing to meantion is, watch for rolling. If you knotice your mare obsessively rolling and in obvious discomfort, not shaking off after gettingup from a roll, you need to call your vet asap. Either (1) yuor mare is colicing, and this happens alot right before foaling or (2) the baby is in the wrong position and needs to be adjusted.

Always keep clan towels, Tetnus, and vacs at hand. Iodine, and a clean stall with out hay as bedding. Either clean shavings or straw. Hay can be dusty, and when the foal is born it will injest alot of dust. THis can cause severe repiratory problems. Make sure the stall is large. At a minimum of 14X14. Stalls that are too small can lead to a dead or injured foal. SOmetimes the mare doesn't have enough room to lay down, and the foal is born against a wall, injuring it during delivery from being pushed up against a wall.

There are great books and video's to watch and read....
    And of course tons of photos to take and post here!!!