1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

food allergies

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by mamabear_34, Jul 6, 2004.

1. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

Hello again everyone!! I hope you all had a wonderful 4th, Canada Day, and any other holiday that was celebrated in the near past!! Well I just went through quite a thing with my Buffy dog and food allergies!! Thursday evening her eyes and nose started swelling up so I rushed her to the vet and we all just assumed that she had gotten a spider bite or something, so the vet gave her a steroids shot and a benedryl shot and she seemed to be doing better. Then on Saturday morning Buffy started thowing up and having diareah (sp) and I noticed that the inside of her ears were all broken out and she was itching them like crazy and she was swallowing funny like her throat itched. Thats when I started to think about what she had been eating and remembered that I had gotten her dog food on Wednesday. I had gotten her the same brand as always but a different flavor ( bought chicken and rice because they were out of lamb and rice). So I took away her food and decided to scramble her a couple of eggs as a treat because she was feeling so yucky. BAD IDEA!!! I never thought about chicken and eggs being the same and causing a reaction, so my poor baby broke out in hives all over her body!!!!! I then rushed her to the emergency vet (being a holiday weekend my vet was out of the office). They told me to give her benedryl and she would get better. So now I have gotten her the food that she was eating before (lamb and rice) and she is doing better. The inside of her ears is still a bit itchy and scaby but I know that she will be ok now.

Has anyone else ever had this reaction with their dogs with chicken?? I always thought that chicked was one of the easiest things for them to digest. This whole thing gave me quite a scare and I just wanted others to be aware of what food alergies can do!!

2. Angie

Angie New Member

One of my brother's dogs breakes out with the chicken flavored food.

3. Killerbee2

Killerbee2 New Member

i have never had a dog with allergies(sp?) i dont think anyway. But we just got a new dog so i will see! 8)

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Here's a thought on the whole question of chicken allergies.

My aunt had a reaction like you were describing after eating fried chicken. Turns out it's not the chicken she's allergic to, it's the penicilin in the feed the chickens ate.

Adding antibiotics to animal feed is very common. Among other things, it increases their weight. An animal that weighs more brings in more money, as meat is sold by the pound.

5. Suz

Suz New Member

Alergies and food or meds

My female is ten months old. We started her at four months with Advantex for flees etc., and she is on heart worm meds monthly. Until last month she has had no alergic reactions to anything. Suddenly in about 3 to 4 weeks she has the tiny bumps that hold her hair up along her sides and her abdomen is breaking out. Some days worse than others. I have been giving her benadryl occasionally, which has helped.. her food is the same so far as I can tell. I was wondering..does the Advantex build up in their systems(?). I have always given her an occasional egg in the morning but have stopped that now..same with the milk from when I eat cereal..no milk any more. She has gotten those things all along, though and never seemed to bother her. Guess I will take away all table foods until I find out what 'it' is. (She doesn't get much, just a spoonfull or two a day on her other food.) Also, I learned the hard way from a friend to NOT give them rawhide chews or pigs ears. Pieces swell up inside the intestines and can cause blockage...as my friend learned to the tune of nearly two thousand dollars in surgery to remove a blockage.

6. Betty's Daddy

Betty's Daddy New Member

Does anyone know what paw chewing is a symptom of??

When Betty was about 6 months old I actually bought some thornit and used it to rid her of mites in her ears and on her paws....

Now, a year later, she's chewing on her paws again fairly frequently.

She'll scratch her ears too but they're not dirty or smell funny either.

Sooooo, does anyone have any ideas?

I'm planning on using the last bit of Thornit I have left and will start using that again on her paws at least.

Its definitely NOT normal!

7. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hi, if its excessive you might want to have your vet check her out, could be a little infection or just something irritating it again. Is it a specific spot on the paw? the top, between the toes, the pads?

It can be an anxiety problem in some cases but it would be better to get it checked out just in case.

8. Betty's Daddy

Betty's Daddy New Member

Hi DeLa, thank you as usual for your insight :y_the_best:

She chews basically between the toes or I guess even the pads but not the top.

She's due for her Year 2 booster shot this week or next so I'll prolly have it checked out then.

Its not completely over the top but I would say its abnormal. I've also been working a lot more and spent a weekend away recently and had a dog sitter that she knows very well but she's been known to have separation anxiety too so I'm pretty sure that could be playing a part as well.

Either way, my girl is VERY sensitive :lol:

Thanks again for your take and I'll let you know if anything comes of it....

9. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Have you had your carpets cleaned lately? Do you use products like Fabreeze or Carpet Fresh? It could simply be a contact allergy to the perfumes in cleaning products like those.