1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

foster puppy has parvo

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

No, they won't hospitalize her, and it's probably too late for that now. Their chances are better if you do it right away. I'm going to take her in for a shot of Reglan (anti-nausea drug) tomorrow, or at least that is my plan. She can't keep anything down, including the Reglan pills. Maybe the shot will allow her to at least get something into her. I am thinking of maybe doing a parvaid enima as they suggest on their website. They have a really detailed guide that I only found out about yesterday.

Mary Kate (other pup) started vomiting just before midnight. I started her immediately on the parvaid and am following their guide. So far, I think she is doing okay. Her stool was still normal last time she went, and she seems to be keeping her pedialyte, parvaid, and liver puree down so far.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

So sad that they wont hospitalize her although I totally understand about the finances. I agree that the chances are better when treated right away and every day there is less chance but Ive seen a 'fair' number of dogs manage to pull through when no-one, including the vet thought that they would. Obviously its not the case with all dogs but its something that when youve seen it happen it makes it hard to believe its not worth a try.

Is it possible to ask your vet about chlorpromazine instead of Reglan? Reglan basically works by pushing everything through the system and the effects dont last that long, most of the vets Ive worked with, if they do use it will use it mixed in the IV fluids but not as a single shot or oral dose (for Parvo). Chlorpromazine, lasts about 8 hours, reduces or eliminates the nausea although the downside is it has a sedative effect so with a pup that is very lethargic or even shocky they might not want to give it, also cimetidine (Tagamet) can be given by injection to reduce the chances of ulceration in the gut and esophegus.

I read up on Parvaid, I do recall a vet years ago that would occasionally give enemas to parvo cases but I dont know what he used, he had his own 'concoction'. I really hope it works for you and your pups.

Please dont think Im being critical in any way, far from it, (I know I come across that way sometimes) I just think that different people, different experiences, different vets that we work with...
    it doesnt hurt to look at all the options and possibilities.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya sending good vibes and paryers for your pups for a healthy recovery. Did yo read Charmedagains post and maggies thread, he had a link of someone treating their pup by homeopathy

She is so darn cute!

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Hey girl. Just checking in to see if everything is going OK. I know its SO tough.

I agree with DelaUk on that one.... I've had much better luck with chlorpromazine than I did with the others. It lasted longer, and the pups were able to hold down their food, but it did make them more lethargic.

Pedialyte is good, but you need to be sure your giving good water as well. Too much Pedialyte will give them the runs and can upset their stomachs.

I've always noticed that if they lasted longer than a week after the onset of Parvo symptoms, they had a better chance of making it. I've hospitalized pups, and home remedy them and had the same luck either way.
    I administer IV fluids to mine though. Just left the catheter in and put vet wrap around it to keep them from pulling it out or hurting it and gave fluids that way, or through the scruff of the neck.

The best thing to feed them "food wise" in my experience. Is mushed rice, wheat germ, egg and pedigree puppy canned food. That's what I used. Just boil the whole wheat rice (not bleached white rice like minute rice) until its done, and then add a little more time to make sure it softens. Then cool. Add a raw egg, 1 tsp of wheat germ oil, 1 can of pedigree puppy food (canned) and 1/4 cup of rice. put in the blender and spoon feed about 2 tbsp every hour to two hours. If they won't eat, you can tube feed, but this can make the esophagus raw or scratchy and you run the risk of missing and accidentally getting it into the lungs. You can add a little KMR milk to make it softer if you need to .

Good luck. Sending lots of love a prayers your way!

5. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I was wondering about the Reglan. They gave it to my Dad to "move things along" and boy did it ever! I just didn't think I was qualified to voice my concerns or experience in a human.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Thanks for all the advice. She was really rough this morning but is somewhat better now. The vet gave me a bunch of syringes of Reglan so I can give my own shots every 6 hours. She said she can't give me an injectable antibiotic because it was taken off the market. What the...? Anyway. She said after three shots to try an antibiotic pill.

Mary Kate is doing well so far. She still has nasty diarrhea, but no vomiting and she is eating Hill's I/D. And being a pain in the butt. I'm so happy!

But sad for Ashley. The vet said to hang in there and not to give anything by mouth right now, except the antibiotics. She's getting so skinny. :(

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

LOL on a funny note, you have me laughing, you named the dogs after the olsen twins??

8. Samsintentions

hmmm? Don't give anything by mouth? I don't like that idea at all....

If there's nothing in the stomach, the meds alone will make her feel worse and vomit... let alone the fact that she needs all the nutrients and calories, and carbs she can get!!!

Do you have any nutrical? Forgot to meantion that! Its a MUST!!!

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

She can't keep anything down. I'm sure Nutrical would be too rich. Merck manual says to fast puppy until no vomit for 12-24 hours and vet agrees. We have to let everything settle in order to be able to get food into her as soon as she can tolerate it! I think she is resting much more comfortably - less cramping - since I stopped trying to cram stuff into her.

10. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

We used to use an antibiotic called Naxcel, its a once every 24 hours shot, I did do a search on line for it and cant find anything about that one being off the market (I havent worked over there though for over a year now). It has to be made up with saline but theres not enough in there to cause any problems as its given in such a small doseage.

When theyre ready to start feeding again the usual schedule is this: (for a small pup)

Day 1. Pedialyte or water, 1 teaspoon every 30-40 minutes for about half a day, if theres no vomiting then increase to about a tablespoon, by the end of the 24 hours the pup should hopefully be able to keep about 2 tablespoons down each time. If at any point there is vomiting, with-hold the fluids for 2 hours and then start again with the lesser amount.

Day 2. Providing there has been no vomiting.....(What I would feed) white boiled rice and chicken broth, again starting off with a teaspoon about every half hour, do that through the day then gradually increase by evening. Continue with the small amounts of Pedialyte or water.

Day 3. As long as there has been no vomiting at all then you should be able to leave water down and give small portions of the food about every 4 hours.

Its a round the clock deal (in most cases). You should still be giving the SQ fluids until about day 3, there might still be some diarrhea but it should be starting to improve. (not be watery or bloody).

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My daughter named them. She's too old to like the Olsen twins now, but she used to watch them a lot a few years ago.

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

She ate a little on the morning of day 2 and kept it down. Then she started refusing food and then even a tiny amount of food or fluid would make her vomit. She hasn't been able to keep anything down since then, not even 1/2 tsp. of pedialyte.

It's almost time for another Reglan shot. I wish I had know before this morning about the other drug, although she is VERY lethargic. Why don't all vets/doctors use the best meds? I don't get it. My grandpa was in the hospital to have his gallbladder removed and the combo of painkillers and sleep aids they gave him are known to cause dementia in geriatric patients - and so they did with him. But there are other drugs that work just as well that they could have given him....so why didn't they?!

A half hour after the Reglan I am supposed to try the antibiotic. If she vomits it, then I don't know what is next. I could bring her in for an antibiotic shot probably, but not until tomorrow. And is an antibiotic really going to help her at this point?

I don't know that she is going to make it. I told her that if it is time, it's okay to go. But if she wants to fight, I will keep helping her. I guess I have to keep up hoping.

On the flip side, the president of our group has authorized me to have her euthanized at the emergency vet if it becomes necessary during the night. How do you recover from ending a puppy's life? I don't know how I would live with it.

13. Nik

Nik New Member

[/quote]

I don't know that she is going to make it. I told her that if it is time, it's okay to go. But if she wants to fight, I will keep helping her. I guess I have to keep up hoping.

[/quote]

Oh my, this has me in tears :cry:

I know you're tackling this alone Jamiya, and doing a great job, but you're not on your own. We're all here with you, and I'm sure you're in all our thoughts and wishes.

14. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh my, this has me in tears

"I know you're tackling this alone Jamiya, and doing a great job, but you're not on your own. We're all here with you, and I'm sure you're in all our thoughts and wishes."

Me too

15. Jas

Jas New Member

Jamiya is it too late to treat them homeopathically? A breeder friend did this with her litter. They were exposed to parvo ironically at their vet clinic. She caught it early though and all pups survived with the help of a different vet.

Thinking of you and the pups.....

16. someday

someday New Member

Crossing my fingers for their recovery.
    I know their getting the best care with you.

17. Samsintentions

Oh Jamiya, We are all here for you! I wish I could rush up there and help...

Just give her time. She's fought this long.

18. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I am treating homeopathically but having trouble finding the correct remedy. I tried one today that may be helping. She is sniffing her food and water but still won't eat or drink. The vet doesn't want me to force her and send her back into vomiting. But she actually wagged her tail at one point today, and put her front paws up on the gate! I hope it's a sign she is going to come back to us.

Is baby rice cereal okay to try to feed her? My sister suggested it but it's iron fortified. Anyone know if this is okay?

19. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Ive never used the baby rice cereal specifically nor talked to any vets about it so I wouldnt know....just a thought though, Ive seen it (on the net) as being used to make dog treats and Im thinking as long as there is no onions or salt in it, might be worth a try to see if the pup might take a few licks....when they go for this long with nothing in their stomach I know that most vets Ive worked with with say anything is better than nothing as long as its not making them vomit.

Maybe check with your vet to be on the safe side but I can tell you there have been some cases where Ive resorted to things like cat food, various baby foods, done a late night run to a Dennys restaurant to get scrambled eggs...I warm it up a bit as it brings the smell of the food out better, all with the blessing of a vet and all just used as basically an appetitzer, very small amounts given at intervals...I mean literally enough to cover the tip of my small finiger to start with.

When they havent eaten for a while it can be very hard to coax them to eat again even if they are feeling better.

As for drinking, have you tried putting an ice cube down? See if the pup is interested in licking it.

20. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

At last try, plain water made her vomit. I am going to try again today, but I need to wait until the antibiotic has been down for a while. I don't want to risk her losing it.