1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

*gasp* there is a flea on kuma!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, Feb 12, 2006.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

*runs around in a panic* im not sure which route to take as i wanted to get away from the vet flea treatments. jamiya, im guessing you can help me out here. what should i do? i am going to give her a bath with her usual shampoo [has essential oils that fleas dont like] and add garlic to her diet as a start. is there anything else i should be doing?

as for the garlic, how much should i give? is brewers yeast just as good [wouldnt mind giving her some extra vitamins]? should i just scrap the natural idea for now and give her a dose of advantage?

im not sure if i am overreacting as i just came back from the park so one might have jumped on her there. but im going to assume that she has picked it up at my house and that there are more of them. im going to check her fur properly to see if there are anymore.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

As for garlic. i just sprinkly a little bit. Not much. My girls don't use frontline or advantage. Precious is HIGHlY allergic to it or something. She looses her hair and her skin turns red and flakey afterwards.

3. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

If you have carpet in the house then I also recommend that you treat the carpet with the Fleabusters powder. You just sprinkle it on and work in with a stiff broom. It will last a year or more and kills fleas with a dehydrating action rather than with a poison so it's safe for people and pets.
    I bought the 1 pound jar and only had to use half to treat three large rooms. I have used it for years now and have eliminated fleas in the house completely.
    Here is a link to the site where you can order the powder.
    http://www.pest-control-supplies.com/arrest2.htm

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i dont think they ship to australia :? i might check out the local pet supply shop for something similar.

i found more fleas on her. not in her coat but just sitting on top. im beginning to think she got them at my parents place. they have what looks to be fleas hanging around a certain part of their yard. they have been there for a couple of years now.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

How big is Kuma? Probably about a half to one clove of garlic a day would work. I use garlic tablets for my dogs. You do want to be careful to not overdose and it does take some time to build up in their systems to have a bug repellant effect. There are supplements sold for dogs that contain garlic plus Brewer's yeast and it's supposed to be good for them, but I have never tried it because I don't want Bonnie to eat any yeast (she already has itchy yeast problems).

I have also used food grade diatomaceous earth, like when Missy was found and I was worried she brought fleas home. You rub it into the coat really well. You have to be careful to not let the dogs breathe it in. You can also use it on carpet and their beds, and then vacuum it up. Vacuum your whole house and especially pet areas and beds, and you can even throw a flea collar into the vacuum bag. Throw the bag away when you are done.

In lieu of diatomaceous earth, I have heard you can use Borax.

There are also several sprays you can make or some sold in health food stores that have natural ingredients and no chemicals.