1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a New pony!

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by 4Dogsihave, Mar 28, 2004.

1. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Hi we are going to be adding a new addition to our family soon. A 3 yo pony named Teddy. His owners now are selling him b/c their children have out grown him and they are looking to get another horse for them and just dont have the space. I have never owned a pony or horse but have always been in love with them and have alot of experience with others. My question is, Teddy has always been kept in a field with another pony and two horses. He gets along very well with all but one horse. Do you all think he will get depressed being the only animal in the pasture? He will have lots of love and attention from my family but I worry he will be unhappy without his playmates. If this is the case and he gets depressed does anyone have any suggestions for helping him through it?
    Thanks in advance for any advice! :eek:

2. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

every horse takes being alone differently. if he's really attached to his buddies, it may take him quite some time to adjust to being alone. and some horses will never adjust. if he doesn't do well being alone, the best thing would be to get him a companion. a mini, or a goat, or such. a lot of companion horses go cheap, because theyre not rideable and people dont want them, so you could buy him a buddy pretty easily.

3. ya_gotta_luv_em

ya_gotta_luv_em New Member

i hope ur new horse goes well. I sometimes keep my young horse by herself & she is usually fine. If it gets lonely & u cant get anotherhorse or pony, then go something different. My horse sometimes has a calf or a dog or even chooks 4 company. She doesnt care wot they r, she just likes the company. Ur pony will probably b happy w/ just the family 4 company. Make sure he knows that u luv him so he doesnt feel lonely.
    Good luck

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

it all depends. For the first week or so, I suggest some heavy attention from yall. He'll adjust fine. Horses are herd animals and flight animals. He may run and "hollar" and act really stupid and bad for a few days. Be sure to walk him the WHOLE perimeter of the pasture. That way he'll know his boundaries. Also, Get him early in the morning, that way he'll have all day to check things out and know his limits. If you get him in the evening, he won't know the boundaries, and may crash fences, get hurt, ect.....

5. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

3dogsihave, if i may ask, where are you located?

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Occasionally there are a few show cows in the field we will be putting him. Someone else rents it for a few weeks a year to keep them there. I am just hoping all goes well and a smooth transition. Oh I am located in Virginia.

7. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

3dogsihave: Yea, I see that :) Where in VA, though? (just curious!)

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Oh sorry didnt know I had that in my profile. LOL. I live in Buckingham. Its in the heart of Va.

9. Horse_Lover

Horse_Lover New Member

I own five horses myself. But that was not always the case,I began with one and he got lonely sometimes. I found he enjoyed being with my cat,ginger, so I would let her in the pasture. :D

Maybe all Teddy needs is a friend, it doesn't have to be a horse but something else,a cat for example.

I wish you luck. :)

10. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Thanks for all your suggestions! I am sure when I get Teddy in May I will have lots more questions for you guys!!!