1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

getting rid of fleas

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Fuz, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Fuz

Fuz New Member

ok my dog does not have a tick problem what im concerned about is the fleas she has so many she has almost no energy to play because she is scratching herself all the time i gave her a bath with flea shampoo they were almost all gone but the next day it seemed they were all back again but double the number from before. PLEASE HELP ME (and my dog ) [-o< [-o< :(

2. jay

jay New Member

I would get a flea control product from your vet. I use Frontline and I live in Louisiana, where everyone has flea problems and it works great. I would also have your yard and house sprayed by a pest control company.

3. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Ditto on the frontline or Advantage and on treating the yard. I use a bug killer yard treatment from Lowes---Triazaine or something like that. Don't waste your money on OTC department store drops or sprays for the dog or flea collars. If the dog is an inside dog, vacuum the house really good and immediately discard the bag. Also wash the bedding in hot water. Good Luck! :y_the_best:

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

you probably also have them in your carpet, bedding, everywhere! so you will need to treat all the stuff! vaccum a whole bunch helps a little too.

5. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Treat the dog with one of the prescribed products first then the yard with a good commercial product. If you have carpet in your home consider using Fleabusters if they are in your area. They come in and treat the carpet with a non-toxic powder that last a year and I can vouch that it is totally effective. Here is one site where you can purchase the Fleabuster product to treat your own carpets:
    http://www.pest-control-supplies.com/arrest2.htm

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Id recommend Frontline, you dont always need to use additional products on the carpets etc but if you do check with your vet which products are safe when using one thing on the carpets and one on the dog. Some 'mixes' can have a bad reaction on the dog.

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

another trick is to put a flea collar into the vacuum cleaner bag (the only good use for a flea collar) and then vacuum. Toss the bag away. The collar in the bag will kill the fleas or they could hop right back out again

8. Fuz

Fuz New Member

ya we would love to spray the house but we have cats and a ton of guinea pigs we would not be able to keep them outside all day. and about spraying the yard we cant do because we have chickens and birds like them so they would end up eating it and getting sick.

9. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Buy a few flea collars and set them in the corners of your rooms, get the frontline for the dog or take him to the mountains for a week, the fleas die at high altitude. Do the vacuum cleaner trick and after a week or so you should see a rapid decline in the flea population.

10. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Mary and Mike...have you thought of writing a book.....101 ways to use a flea collar without putting it on your pet. :D

Seriously...Ive never thought about them actually being used for anything other than chasing fleas to the other end of a pet.

11. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I heard the soldiers in Iraq wore flea collars on their boots for the sand fleas. I wonder if it would work with ticks on me when I go hiking??

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Have you ever touched a flea collar? They're nasty things. I swear I can feel the posion seeping into my skin, LOL.

Try using a lotion or soap (or body spray) with pure vanilla extract. Supposedly the smell deters bugs, and it smells nice to humans! I haven't tried this, but my parents tell me it works.

13. lil96

lil96 New Member

my grandmother swears by skin so soft for any sort of bugs (any just about any other purpose too!)

14. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Arent Mike & Mary a Miscoroft Speech toy? :roll: Ohh also a nice chewie candy.

One thing I know is we do not have canine type flees here @ 6800 feet obove sea level. I have seen a larger flea on the Grey Squirrels, but never one flea on my dogs, in 34 years in the mountains.
    Take a nice vacation with your dogs in the mountains right after fogging your house and be flea free.

15. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Ive never heard of a microsoft speech toy.... :oops:

Its the same down in Victorville/desert area for the fleas, they cant live in the dry heat, I think in the five years I was living there I saw a total of about a dozen fleas...they were all on dogs that had come up from LA, the wild rabbits have them but same as the squirrels, they dont bother the dogs.....

16. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Maybe I should have said Tool.
    http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/sdk51/

Are there Canine only fleas and rodent only type fleas? I have just never seen a flea on a Big Bear dog.

17. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Theres a few different fleas, here are some of them, I think human fleas are the same as cat fleas, and theres also chicken fleas....

Common Name -- Scientific Name
    Cat Flea -- Ctenocephalides felis (Bouche)
    Dog Flea -- Ctenocephalides canis (Curtis)
    Northern Rat Flea-- Nosopsyllus fasciatus (Bosc)
    Oriental Rat Flea-- Xenopsylla cheopis (Rothschild)
    Rabbit Flea -- Cediopsylla simplex (Baker)

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2081.html

WARNING: reading this may cause immaginary itching!!!! :shock: