1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Too Big I Think

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Well this morning I went downstairs to feed my native fish in the 120. Well the Northern came to the front of the glass flapping and wiggling and himself everywhere as he was excited to eat some fishies. My bass came to the surface for feeding also. My bluegill was behind some plants and didn't see me yet. Well I grabbed for a minnow and drop 2 in there. Bass got one, the other swam down and the pike saw it and right as he lunged for it the bluegill went for it and the northern grabbed the bluegill instead. :shock: And the bluegill is half his size and the pike wouldnt give it up. I had to take the net and try lightly hitting the bluegill out of his sharp toothed mouth. Luckily the bluegill exscaped with only some teeth marks :lol:. He still swims ok but I think I might have to move him or feed the fish too often.

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Ouch! I'm sorry ta hear dat!

3. M_wm

M_wm New Member

you got him excitied :lol:

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Where the puncture marks that the teeth left somewhat deep? :shock:

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

very sorry to hear this would you post pics of your native fish

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

very sorry to hear this would you post pics of your native fish

7. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

The punctures werent very big but he has a bloodmark and white meat marks on his right side (very tiny tho). I tried feeding the injured bluegill again and the northern snapped up ALL the fish i put in the tank and he is only 6 inches (ate 7 minnows after eating 6 before). He is getting very vicious it seems :? Pictures of all my fish are on my website. Click the www down at my post.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Ouch! That really must heard. Is he doing well now?

9. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Well he ate his first minnow since the attack so I hope that helps some healing. At least he isn't physically hurt. Just mentally lol (he used to swim all day with the northern). :(

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Oh! i didnt think ur blue gill got hurt, i hope he gets better :(

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Try adding some Melafix to help the wounds heal.

-Chelle

12. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

How much does that stuff cost?? Is it a liquid?? Have you seen the pics and do you think it is neccessary for the little wounds??

13. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Its pretty cheap yea its a liquid isnt it?

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The pics where so small I couldn't see the injuries very well.

At one of the landscaping/pond stores here I can get a 16oz bottle of Pond Melafix (more concentrated than the aquarium stuff and therefore is cheaper and lasts longer) for about $13. And it is a liquid.

I don't think its antibacterial and antifungal properties are as good as it claims, but it DOES help cuts & scrapes heal really quickly. A while back one of my oscars knocked a chunk out of his head that was about 1 1/2" x 3/4" and 1/8" - 1/4" deep. I added Melafix every other day for just a week and after 2 weeks, it was completely healed.

-Chelle

15. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

im really interested in native fish. could u tell me your fish's full name?

16. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I don't think I got what you meant by the full name?? Did you mean what I call them or their scientific name?? I would be MORE than happy to inform anybody about native fish since I know how hard it is to find info about them in the aquarium.

17. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I am glad to hear that.

18. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

i mean there common name

19. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Alright the common names (along with their short names or close relatives that look alike) of my native fish are:

Northern Pike (Pike, Pickerel)

Bluegill (Sunfish, Pumpkinseed)

Largemouth Bass (Bass, Smallmouth Bass)

Black Bullhead (Bullhead, Yellow/Brown Bullhead, Catfish)

Does this answer your question??

20. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

how big do they get to be?