1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ginger, the stray

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Sep 18, 2004.

1. luna

luna New Member

di you have a woods in your back yard? because if you do then you could get a large box made of wood and maybe put some branches around it so that he can't see it real easy. maybe you could also insulate the inside of the box and put an extra blanket inside it so that the cat is warm and can cuddle into the blanket if it wants to. \

:m32:

2. vene

vene New Member

Bingo Luna. Those are my thoughts exactly. No, I live in the suburbs but it looks like a jungle in the rear of our yard by the town park's tennis courts. I think I can manage to sneak something back there! :mrgreen:

3. luna

luna New Member

thank goodness for those wild tennis courts , huh? its too bad that he refuses to let the poor thing in the house, even if its just for the winter. now all that's left to figure out is how to keep its water from freezing.

:qm4:

4. vene

vene New Member

I found 2 wooden boxes in the garage. I think I'm going to waterproof and insulate them. Maybe connect them so it'll be like living in a 2 bedroom apartment. :mrgreen: As for the water freezing, maybe I can place them in a styrofoam cooler. Any suggestions? Then I have to camoflage (spelling) the cat house with branches and stuff. Maybe I should paint the boxes as well? For the entrance, would a plastic door be sufficient for keeping freezing temerature away from the units? :0011:

5. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/feral_cat_shelter.pdf

This is one with plans to build from scratch, but it talks about how to insulate and make a little 'wind screen'. It also says that hay or straw is better than blankets or carpeting, as they hold moisture. Might give you some ideas, anyway. :)
    I'm stumped about the freezing water, tho!!

6. vene

vene New Member

Thanks for that info Karen. But I'm no good at building from scratch. I need someone to go shopping with me and give me instructions. LOL's. I read that and it looks too complicated. I can only follow SIMPLE directions. Hee, hee. :mrgreen: As for the water freezing, I found this last night:

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/preventing.htm

Isn't straw or hay uncomfortable- you know, prickly and stuff? :0011:

7. luna

luna New Member

thats gonna be one lucky cat. two insulated rooms in the winter what outside cat wouldn't want that? painting the house camoflage is a good idea. do they sell camoflage paint? the styrofome container is a good idea maybe you could plastic or somthing inside the styrofome so it dosen't eat it. makeing houses for other cats is a good idea too. one of those doors that people attach to their doors to let their animals out should keep out most of the cold. if it let in a lot of cold air people wouldn't use them, i think. too bad they don't make kitty hot tubs... :mrgreen:

8. vene

vene New Member

LOL's! I think hot tubs are for people. Most kitties prefer to lick clean themselves? Although a miniature hot tub would be good drinking water for them. The crates already contain cushions like those they use for computers except much softer. I'm going to use those kitchen cabinet liners in there somehow and recusion the units. I might put fabric or blankets for the walls too. Might as well. I have tons of my toddler's old baby blankets and sheets to put in good use. Someone just needs to kick me in the derrier and get me going on this project. Too much yak and no results! Thank you Luna. I'm going to look up cat doors. Hope they are not too expensive. :roll: I'm not having second thoughts but what if no kitties use it after I make it? I'd be so sad.

9. luna

luna New Member

i think they prefer to like themselves too. and if there were they probibly wouldn't use it anyway. *kicks vene in derrier to get her started* :lol:

10. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

11. vene

vene New Member

Thanks EternalFlame. The last link was hilarious. I should hypnotize hubby shouldn't I. Then I won't have to spend time making this cat house. :mrgreen:

12. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

It does look complicated, but I thought the angled door/windscreen and waterproofing/insulating might be a help with your project. I couldn't build it either! ;) The water dish ideas from the link are neat - hopefully they'll work!!
    Re the hay/straw - I used to work as a groom at a race track and the barn cats always chose the straw over the blankets. It's not as prickly as you might think - an hour of laying down will soon pack it into a nice, comfy bed for them. It also dries quickly if it gets wet and believe it or not, it stays warm.

13. vene

vene New Member

Cool, thanks Karen. I'll try the straw too.

14. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

have you thought of using reflective blankets? they sound very reliable. they only cost around $1.00. you could line the entire shelter with them! haha.

15. vene

vene New Member

$1?! :shock: Where? Where? Where? :eek: :eek: :eek:

16. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

17. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

18. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

sheesh...vene....i think dark rabbit is the AAKL....!!!! :eek:

can you figure out what that is??? i bet you can!!!

btw...it sounds like a conspiracy is in the works here.... :m37:

19. vene

vene New Member

Another Auspet Kitty Librarian? :mrgreen: :0023: :0017: :m39: Thank you for the wonderful links Darkrabbit!

20. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

i'm a what now? is that bad?

Another Auspet Kitty Librarian?? wha? :shock: