1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

giving subQ fluids to puppy

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Who here has given subcutaneous fluids before? Do you warm the fluids before giving it? Do you always go in the vicinity of the scruff? Poor Ashley is getting sore.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Should be able to help you out here, 'regular' room temperature should be fine, Ive warmed them up before for tiny pups and kittens or incases of shock and hypothermia but you have to be soooo careful, even if the bag feels just warm there could be 'hot spots' in the fluids and once its in under the skin theres not much you can do about it. The cooler fluids would obviously cool it down but my opinion, its not worth the risk unless its critical to get the pup warmed up.

Going around the scruff is the usual place, more loose skin (and I was told there are less nerve endings at the surface in that area), however when your giving fluids a couple of times a day or even daily it will get sore so move down the body a little. Just be really careful about not hitting the spine or going in too deep, not trying to worry you its just something to be aware of. The pup might 'jump' a little but usually once the needle is in the pup should relax, keep in mind though, less loose skin means it will get tighter quicker and be uncomfortable.

I think the needle itself rather than the fluids is what causes the pain, the area gets bruised even with repeated use of tiny needles and your probably using at least 20g or most likely an 18g, pretty big and they do hurt.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Here's a safe way to warm fluids, if you feel you must. Draw a basin of warm water, about 105 degrees, and check the temperature with a thermometer. Suspend the bag in the warm water for about 15 minutes, then administer them. The fluids will be warm, but can't get hot.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I found a good website with photos and instructions and it went smoother this time. I had the basic idea, but the lady who showed me how to do it was somewhat crazy. She was manhandling my pup and taking forever to put the needle in until finally I said, "Let me do it!" and I did. Seeing the photos on the website made it better, though. That and a new bag - it went much faster.

I'm going to go to giving it only twice a day instead of 3-4 times, so there are less sticks. The vet suggested this. Do you agree? Is it more benficial to her to get them spread out, or in two big gulps? I am giving 500cc per day, total.

I was hoping we could stop soon, but the diarrhea has started again.

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Normally its done about every 12 hours, in some cases, generally very small or severely dehydrated animals, it would be given more often (although if the dehydration is that bad then it would be better to hospitalize and have the pup on IV fluids/IV drugs etc.)

The amount of fluids is mostly decided by weight with dehydration taken into account óver a 24 hour period so as long as your giving the recommended amount daily it shouldnt make any difference in how often its given.

Just a couple of things that have come to mind (I know youve probably got it covered but I just thought Id ask).

Did they give you enough needles so you can use a new one every time? You shouldnt re-use a needle as your more likely to introduce bacteria plus after the first use the needle will be blunt and more painful.

Is the pup on anti-biotics? (Does the Parvaid cover that?....I need to read up on it) They dont do anything for the parvo itself but there are usually secondary bacterial infections to take into consideration. Generally what weve done at the hospitals when someone is doing home care with their dog we will set it up so they can come back daily for an anti-biotic injection and once the vomiting has stopped they can be switched onto oral meds, there are some anti-diarrheal meds that can be given, its also recommended to have a stool sample tested, if there are intestinal parasites or something like giardia or coccidia as well as parvo it will compromise the pup even more.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Tests for coccidia and giardia were negative. I have enough needles to use a new one every time. I have antibiotics and she has mostly stopped vomiting. What sorts of infections do they get? More stomach stuff, or other sorts of things?

7. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I thought you would have already done all that, hope you didnt mind me mentioning it :oops:

The secondary bacterial infections are usually GI, the entire GI system takes a bashing with this, ulceration is a concern, also the white blood count is ususlly low so theyre more susceptible to picking up other infections.

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Sounds like they gottcha covered jami.

I'm more for the less sticks the better. I've always done every 10-12 hr intervals. But then if they need it more, then we go from there.

Sounds like your doing everything right.

Diarhea will come and go. And just when you think she can't poo no more, a flood comes out. Is it bloody?

her little GI tract will probably take quite a bashing. Just remember to feed soft foods.

Her little hiny might get rashed and raw, you can put a little vasaline on it to help, this will also help keep the poo from sticking in her fur.

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

No blood.

I tried feeding some beef liver puree (from parvaid site recommendation) this morning but she threw it up. She was doing better yesterday (day 2) than today (day 3). I gave her some anti-nausea med the vet gave me (Reglan) and I am going to try chicken baby food mixed in pedialyte since she kept it down yesterday.

Does anyone know if baby rice cereal is okay? My sister said she used it with her kitten and it helped a lot, but it's iron fortified. Is this bad for dogs? Hard on the tummy?

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Why do they die?? If I can keep her hydrated, won't she evenutally fight off the virus? Or at some point I will just check on her and she won't be breathing? Why the heck is it so expensive to hospitalize her? IV fluids can't be expensive, and I know they put in a lot of time checking on the animals but they are there anyway seeing other patients. I mean really now. Costs are outrageous. :(

Vet said to hang in there, that they can seem really bad and then they come out of it. I hope so. There really has been no change today, although she is worse than yesterday.

I'm so tired and I wish my husband was home. :(

I think the Rescue Remedy I sipped this morning is wearing off. I never really thought that stuff works, but now I think it does.

11. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I'm sorry I don't have anything to add. :( But I am pulling for yall. BTW, she's really pretty.

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If I have been giving her Lactated Ringers, can I give her a bag of Normosol? What's the difference?

Also, can I give the Reglan shot at the same time she gets fluids? If so, should I give her the shot first? And if not, how far apart should they be?

13. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Jam - you're doing an awesome job. Hang in there!

Is there a vet somewhere you can call and get good answers to your questions?
    I am sure there is a vet somewhere that is willing to guide you through.

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yes, these are the questions I forgot to ask my vet this morning when I asked her the other 9000 questions I had. There are vet techs and people experienced with this sort of thing here, so I figured I could get some answers without bothering the vet again.

15. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

I don't know about you Jam - I know there are a lot of knowledgable people on these boards - but I would still want to talk to someone that I know REALLY has a degree in veterinary science - and get the best and most correct answers possible.

I know you are under the gun - and I can't believe the courage and strength you have to be pulling through this horrible ordeal -
    now is the time for the very best information and help.

Hey call another vet in another town, or county, or state!!!

Hang in there!

16. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

You 'can' use Normosol-R (its actually preferred over LRS with some vets intially) but I would check with the vet anyways as its been going on for a while now and I dont know if it would help or hinder to change the balance of electrolytes at this stage.

As for the reglan shot Ive usually given it at the same time as the fluids. Its more commonly given added and diluted in a litre of fluids going IV.