1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Good non-dusty cat litter brands anyone?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Apr 27, 2006.

1. vene

vene New Member

I've tried numerous types of cat litter ranging from Arm & Hammer to Scoop Away. The cats are currently using Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious cat litter which used to have little to no dust but has suddenly become really bad regardless of which batches I use. :( I like the fact that it contains no perfumes and is odorless. Can anyone recommend a brand that they are happy with? TIA! :qm1: I may have to go back to Arm & Hammer. It's a bit pricey though. :roll:

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Vene. Well, I use good ol' Jonny Cat litter. LOL Not too many people like this litter, but my cats like it and I do to. I think I pay $2-$4 dollars for a big bag.

3. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

I just tried out my very first box of Swheat Scoop and so far I like it :D

I got it becuz, well i guess you guys dont know, but me and Vianne moved up to South Carolina a couple weeks ago and I was having trouble finding the litter I was using which was Ultra Pearls crystal cat litter. That stuff I really do like, but sometimes if you get a bag that has too many crushed crystals at the bottom, it can be a tad dusty when you finish pouring it out.

The Swheat Scoop seems to be very low dust tho. But no so great with the tracking :roll: Oh well, you win some, you lose some. Good thing I have a huge litter mat :)

4. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Yall know I switched to the non-clumping kind and it's terribly dusty. I've just started pouring it in the boxes outside. I had white dust all over everything!

5. nern

nern New Member

I'm also using Dr. Elsey's and I've noticed the same thing vene! I was checking out the new P-POD litter but it looks a bit pricey for me. Its supposed to be dust free.

6. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

This is an issue that I've been dealing with lately as well. I was also using Elsey's, but the dust had become unbearable and I was diagnosed with "chronic inflammatory airway disease." I switched to PaPurr clumpable first, and it was much less dusty but did not clump well enough. I finally went back to S'wheat Scoop again (used to use it but it seemed like Luna didn't like it because she would only use it once a day) and have been generally pleased with the low dust and the clumping. And Luna seems to like it better than before. The only problem is when she pees too close to the edge of the litterbox and it forms a clumpy mess. But even when that happens, it's fairly easy to retrieve the pieces of the broken clump.

Note that there is still some dust with the S'wheat Scoop, but it doesn't seem to travel as far and it hasn't bothered my allergies at all. If you have an allergy to wheat, though, you may want to think twice before using it.

The one weird thing about S'wheat Scoop is that I have caught Luna "snacking" on it a few times. The first time I saw her doing it, I saw her chewing something near the litter box. Then I saw her stick her head in the box and nibble on a little more. :-O

7. vene

vene New Member

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of decisions to make here, lol. Nern, how much is the P-POD litter and for how many lbs? Where do they sell them? Swheat Scoop sounds interesting but I'm afraid Rene will eat it. :shock:

8. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Hey lunaguy, I use a garden trowel to get the solid clumps out. It has a point that's good for getting close to the edge. I'm just so happy when Copper has gone IN the box, I don't care if it's on the edge or not.

9. nern

nern New Member

I saw it at Pet Supplies Plus. If I remember correctly, it was around $12.99 for 25 lbs.

10. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

wow..i just bought a 40lb bag of tidy cat for $6.95

11. vene

vene New Member

Lol, Coppersmom!

Thanks Nern. Gotta go check out that P-POD litter!

Wow, rcrgal! What a terrific price! Does Tidy Cat leave a trail of dust when you scoop?

12. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

nope only time there is dust..is towards the bottom of the bag...all the crushed clay..but its pretty dust free

13. ChloesMom

ChloesMom New Member

I don't use clumping either on advice from the vet. Cat's Pride is cheap but talk about a dust storm. I found Tidy Cat for multiples on sale at Wally; 30 lbs. for $4.95. It isn't dusty but they seem to track it out more. Also, my Dollar Tree sells Hartz litter. It is also fairly dust free.