1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Great Pyrenees - about them and how much should one cost?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

RIP Kira :)

2. bama

bama New Member

2Pyrs,

I'm very sorry for your loss. But always remember the love and devotion that you have had the privilage of having and Kira will live on forever.

bama :cry:

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

So sorry for your loss 2pyrs, she'll be in your heart forever.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I have two Pyr puppies in my foster care right now. Yoni and Gus. Both are about 3 months old now and full of it. But Sara is right they are very working orinented. Yoni's job is protecting all the toys... get near them and she'll show you that they are hers and she's keeping them safe. Gus on the otherhand likes the garage. Duno what it is aobut it but he patrols the garage and lets ya know when someone is near it that doesn't belong.

I also have a Great Pyr as a pet. Axel. I've posted his pic before a few times. He's more of the pet quality but he does have alot of guardian tenacies to him. Take for instance, when someone drives up that he doesn't know, he will stand guard until told to back down.

They are very loveable dogs. But protective wether working or pet quality.

I've seen them come in other variations of the traditional solid white. Axel is white with grey patches. Yoni is too....Gus is white witha black mask. I don't think Yoni and Gus are 100% pure bred, but they are at least 75-80%.

As far as pricing goes I've seen them (atleast around here for a pasture herd dog, who lives its life with the herds) go for around $200. Then I've seen some go as high as $1500. Just depends.

Eliza, you'll like this breed, in alot of ways they are pretty much the same as the St's.

But they do shed alot, and drool. Axel is the drool king. Especially in the summer. He has his own swimming pool and he'll lay in it all day long during the summer.

5. lil96

lil96 New Member

sams, maybe you and eliza can set up a meeting? and give your pups a new home?
    1pyr-Oh I am sorry to hear about Kira, it was odd in the beinning you said any day, but I thought you meant in the next year or 2. I hope everything is ok.

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Thanks to those who sent there condolences.
    Kira would not be considered a guard dog she was a family pet. Working orientated not Kira she loved to play. Cody was the same way he just wanted to play. Arthur well he shows some traits but most the time he is just a big baby who rolls over to get his stomach rubbed. Arthur came from a hard life,very little people contact, no love he was used for stud and lived 4 years of his life in a cage with a small run. Yes Pyrs are breed to guard the flock but as I am sure many here know you just don’t throw then out back and say do your job. As with hunting breeds you train them to get the bird and don’t chase it.
    All breeds have traits but they have to be taught how to fine tune them.
    Arthur was trained to do one thing and it sure was not gurading. He was fixed but still thinks he is on call.

1pyr