1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Grooming / tools needed

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by 2pyrs, Apr 21, 2004.

1. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

One Collie and two Great Pyrenees's:
    It's that time of year and the fur is a flying. It's the only time of year I do enjoy though - I get hair on my head I lost some years ago, but I really do enjoy grooming my guys. I usually take them in for it but the cost is just way out there any more.$200.00 or more. So here is what I need to know and please send sites that have photos of the tools you recommended. Pyrs have a very thick coat to remove and over this winter I did not do my job at keeping them brushed as I should. Mats that are as big as my fist and bigger.
    I have a wire brush, medium wire comb a comb that has razor edge to remove mats but does not work to good, difficult to get into the hair.Trying to keep the cost down but would consider and electric trimmers if it would work at removing bad spots but not shave them down. (Thin it down some how ??)
    Going to bath them this weekend using detangle used on horses, sold here in US for people and pets. Comb wet ? dry ?
    What kind of comb ?/tools ?? IDEAS ????????

2pyrs :?

2. Hi 2pyrs, I just trimmed up my dog (shi tsu) myself the other day. But I too would love to find out what tools I need to purchase to do it the right way. I know there's a groomer or two on this board, but I can't remember who the are. :( my mind isn't what it used to be :mrgreen:

Would love answers as well....

Susan

3. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

We use mens hair trimmers, that we bought for $20 at Walmart. They came with different attachments that set the length of the hair you cut...so you can leave it five inchs long if you want, or shave them bald! Those can be very useful when working a matt out...other than that we just use combs and wire brushes. Hope that helps a little! :)

4. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

catrastrophe
    Been there done that : They clog up, cant' handle the thick hair. Even bought one from Pet Smart not the best one because of the price and it would not work. There has to be some kind of hand tools or trick to removing giant mats I mean thick and big.

2pyrs

5. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Sorry....I can ask a pyr breeder I know what she uses, but she wont be on until later tonight. :D :D :D

6. karma

karma New Member

You can try soaking the mat with a hair conditioner or conditioner diluted with water, then try picking at it with your steel comb, mat comb or slicker... but from what you described, the mat sounds too large and tight for that to be done easily. As a groomer, I would just shave it out. And you can't do that without leaving a bare spot- in order to get the whole mat, you have to go as close to the skin as the mat has formed.

I would recommend you get a professional-grade clipper such as a Wahl, Andis, or Oster. I believe the pet chains carry these. For doing mats like yours, you'll probably want a #10 blade. For the clippers you can expect to spend around $120, I think. Expensive, but not really if you normally spend $200 for grooming. Good luck!

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I can't help you with the dogs....but my daughter had very long hair and if I didn't brush underneath in the back for her, she would eventually get tangles that must be very much like what a dog gets! Once, when I was out of a town for a few days, I came back to find a ball the size of a grapefruit with a layer of hair hanging down over it. I almost cried.

It took me a LOT of detangler and at least 30 minutes picking through it strand by strand with a brush to work it out. She wasn't happy with me, but I wasn't very happy with her, either!

Good luck with the doggies, and let us know if you find something that works well!

Jamiya

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Well, what I do with my poodle is give her a good brushing bathe her then blowdry, then clip. But Being your three are all double coated dogs. I think brushing before a bath is still good, because you don't have to worry about so much hair slipping down the drain. Matts tend to shrink and pull the hair when they dry. Thats what Iv'e been told. Now my other dog is possibly border collie mix. His hair gets very thick too. I brush his hair in the opposite direction and hold it down and use either a rake or slicker brush, brush in fast motions over and over in the same spot. Then move to the next spot not touched yet. I've not dealt with matts. But I would cut them out. If they are that bad. My rufus loves to be blow dried also.

9. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

buy a wahl pet trimmer. they have a few of them in the range so get a more heavy duty one. also get a rake and a slicker brush. brush them, then trim them, then brush again, then bath and then brush them again once they are dry.

10. Karma,,,,now i remember you! I knew there were groomers on this site :D Thanks for the advise! I will be using it also. I bought a Micro trimmer, and I use that to shave the hair inside Freebie's ears, it works real well. And the Wahl brand of trimmers, does it have to say for pets? I've noticed they sell those at Walgreens. And for conditioning, I use the conditioner that comes with my hair dye, that stuff works wonders! I only use it on him twice a month, but would it be o.k. to use for every bath? I bathe Freebie once a week. I have too! he gets very dirty in our backyard.

Thanks again! Susan

11. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i jsut read the whole thread properly and saw the prices of the wahl clippers in karmas post. ive seen them on some internet sites for about 60 to 80 dollars. im not sure if the human ones will be as good as the pet ones but id imagine there wouldnt be too much of a difference. i have a human hair one at home and its pretty powerful. mine only cost 90 AUD but i got it from a beauty supply place, so i dont know what the r.r.p is. only problem is the guarantee might be useless if you use a human one on a pet.

12. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

??? our trimmers are Wahl!!!! I guess the pet type are more expensive!

13. karma

karma New Member

I'm only familiar with the professional pet clippers- I've never used the human trimmers so I can't say how they'd work on dogs. I don't think they're as powerful, though; so if you're going to be doing a lot of clipping those cheaper ones might not do the trick. And, I do believe there is a difference between trimmers and clippers- clippers being much stronger.

So if you go with a pair of human trimmers I don't know how well they'd go through pet hair. I'd at least try the pet trimmers, I think. For hair like shih tzus have, if you're not dealing with lots of mats, the trimmers might be ok; especially for areas like ear hair. If you're dealing with fist-sized mats on a pyr, or you're doing an over-all body trim, you might have to go with the professional pet grade clippers.

As for the conditioner weekly- well, I always hesitate to recommend people stuff for dogs, as I guess there's always the possibility of there being something in there that could be harmful. It's probably ok, but I'd run it by your vet just to be sure. Be sure to rinse very well. If you're bathing weekly, use a mild shampoo and be sure to rinse that thoroughly as well. If the skin and coat look good and there's no sign of drying or flaking or dullness, you're in the clear.

14. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Ok, after doing a search for more then 2 hours we cam up with some tools. The one I found had here at my desk.
    **(envelope opener)** :) Found tool on the net that does the same thing but better for $9.00. Wife and I picked them apart and brushed it out with little hair loss.
    I want to say the reason my guys got this way was not by choice had heart attack this past winter and it put me down for some time other wise I take great pride in my guys.But back on track now and setting up help for my guys should my wife or myself become sick. Thanks for everyone's help

2pyrs
    P.S. What do you have set up set for your pets, God forbid you can't be there for them ? New topic.

15. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

You are right they do have different power levels on trimmers.
    We bought people trimmers and they are not powerful enough to cut. We then bought a cheap pair of pet cutters Wahl, not much better then the ones we bought for people hair. (You get what you pay for.)
    I agree with you on the use of people products on our pets.
    The shampoo and conditioner we us is called Tail and Mane made for horses but has been sold for people for some years. We buy 4 bottles of conditioner and soak them down with it and rinses brush and rinses brush till clear.
    They have shown know side affects, dry skin, brittle or dry hair.

2pyrs

16. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

ive found with human hair trimmers [on human hair of course], the more expensive the better.

17. Thanks Kylie & Karma,

Gosh they just had that main and tail shampoo on sale last week at Walgreens, buy 1 get 1 free, wish I had bought it. So that's a good shampoo and Conditioner for dogs? And what if thier skin does become a little dry, what is the best product to use for that?

Thanks again!

P.S. I will be purchasing the pet clippers, instead of human trimmer's, no sinse in wasting money on something that may not work.

Susan

18. karma

karma New Member

Susan,

If their skin gets dry, I'd look for a pet oatmeal or moisturizing shampoo- you can get them at the chains

19. Thats what I'm using now, I don't think I'll switch, I've never had a problem with dry skin :D I was also givin a home made remedy for coarse hair and dry skin. Tell me what you think of it...

1 cup cooked oatmill
    1 egg
    2 TBL. mayonaise
    1/4 cup pure virgin olive oil
    1 tsp. fresh ground lavender

Mix all ingredients well, soak coat with warm water, coat intire coat as close to the skin as possible, let sit 5 min. then rinse.

I haven't tried it yet even though I have everything....

Susan

20. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Avon Skin So Soft ----- contains, moisturizers, sunscreen, and...
    Insect repellent. The repellent part is questionable as to how well, if at all it works. My mother has used baby oil perfume free, my grand mother used cooking oil, me I found Tail and Maine conditioner works just fine for dry skin and coat and does not cause everything they come in contact with to stick to them But I would take inconsideration that if my guys have very dry skin I would be looking at there diet and add supplements to there food. The site below gives some info on S.S.S.and more fun stuff.
    www.urbanlegends.com

2pyrs