1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Guppy Buddies

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, May 5, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hey Everybody, Sorry I've been so distant but its gettin warmer so im outside more often. Quick question, I have 5 Guppies, 2 Females and 3 Males. Does anyone know of any other small but non schooling fish that would go well with them? I have a 5 Gallon tank, though i was told by my LFS to add salt to the water I negeleted to do so and prefer to keep it that way. I've liked my guppies because they seem to be very hardy aquarium fish and also have cool lookin tails. I'd like to add maby 2 or 3 fish bescides guppys that would do well with my guppies, but if I cant no biggie. Thanks for any suggetions.

(Also, it hasnt been a problem yet but is 5 guppies in 5 gallons overstocked already?)

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

I don't think 5 guppies in 5 gallons is overstocked. Just be careful about all those fry your likely to get. After a while you're going to run out of people to pawn them off on (like I am). You could add some ghost shrimp to bring the bottom of your tank to life. Plus they're only like $.25 each. Add maybe four or five, they'll help keep the algae and uneaten food to a minimum as well. Just be careful when you vacuum!

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I remeber seeing ghost shrimp at "Petsmart" when I bought my first guppies and thought they were pretty cool, but will my undergravel filter do any harm to them? and will i need to get new food or they just eat the leftovers that sink to the bottom? Ive got a regular power/carbon filter but I turn that off whenever the fry are born since last time I had the "filter fry" incident and find that the undergravel filter works fine as long as i stir up the gravel when I turn the power one back on. And out of about 14 fry ive seen birthed none survived so ive been sorta lucky with not having to find new homes for them.

4. J_acon

J_acon New Member

You can try Mollies, sparkling guramies, bumblebees.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Personally, I think 5 guppies is all you should put on a 5 gallon tank. Considering the 1" / gallon rule and the adult size of guppies (2"), that's 10" of fish in a 5 gallon tank.

-Chelle

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Well since I have alot of trust in t_chelle I'll stick with my guppies but ghost shrimp sorta seem to be in the catagorey with like sludge eaters so would they count that much agenst my bio load? I think they would look cool on the bottom of my tank, but then again its a small tank and alot can change quickly.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Are your guppies pretty much full grown?

If they are and you don't have any water quality problems (ie you can go at least a week w/o doing a water change and have the nitrAtes less than 20) then you can try adding a couple shrimp. But monitor your water parameters and be prepared to increase the frequency of your water changes.

-Chelle

8. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Picture didnt work see below

9. tina1

tina1 New Member

Ghost shrimp do eat the leftovers so I've never fed mine. It's fun to see them just perching on a leaf or rummaging through the gravel. Different for a change if you know what I mean. Undergravel filters shouldn't bother them as long as there's a good layer of gravel on top. Also, the help they give you in cleaning more than makes up for any waste they might produce. Go for it, just maybe buy a couple more than you might actually want because they have a tendency to die shortly after purchase. I got 5 the other night because I actually wanted three and sure enough, I now only have 3!

10. Obelix

Obelix New Member

[​IMG]

My frist Image didn't seem to go up so here it is again, ill proby buy 5 or 6, at
    walmart their only 23cents a pice and at petsmart 25.

I was lucky I took that picture while they were eating, otherwise they wont stay still long enough.

11. tina1

tina1 New Member

They sure are pretty guppies! My wal mart sells them for $.26 a piece so now I feel ripped off. They own me three cents darn it! lol I'm just joking! I think the shrimp would make a nice addition!