1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Has your dog ever worn the e-collar? Need your suggestion!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DogLover, Aug 5, 2004.

1. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Hey there,
    Chobby just had the neuter surgery yesterday. When I picked him up from the vet's office, they put an e-collar on him. I know, I know, it's to prevent him from licking the wound and getting infected.

When looking from his back, that collar looks like a sattelite dish!!! When viewing from the front, Chobby looks like a woman in a big hat (since he has long ears)!!! Hehehe...I just couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway, that e-collar thing hit things left and right as Chobby walked around the house. Of course, it is awful to him that a "THING" is around his neck and around his face. He couldn't sleep nicely, rolling all over the bed.

I talked to a pet store staff yesterday, she used to work in the vet's office. She told me that it is okay not to use the e-collar as long as the dog is not licking the wound.

10 minutes ago, I took that collar off, and Chobby fell asleep on the couch. I was wondering if anyone here can share some opinions and experiences about using the e-collar. Thanks!

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I have had mixed results. With my first dog she didnt want to lick her wound at all so she did fine without the collar. I still supervised her though. With my second he tried to eat the collar off to get to the wound. So we had to keep it on him at all times. And yes he was uncomfortable but he would have been alot more if we let him at it.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I have had to use it for jake when he gets his hot spots and it has been a god send. I did cut mine down a lot and did it according to where wouldnt be able to reach to scratch, you might try that.

honeybear

4. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Thanks, and yes, I am watching his every move. He hasn't tried to lick it after we arrived at home this afternoon. The staff at the vet office told me that he tried to lick it last night.

I guess each dog takes it differently.

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

You shouldn't need to use it unless he is going at the wound. When my pup was neutered I at first didn't have one, but he kept licking his wound and it was bleeding so I had to bring him back and they gave me one of those things. HE is a St. Bernard so his was HUGE and he couldn't figure the thing out so he kept ramming me in the back of the legs with it. that thing HURT! About sliced my legs off.

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Quick note:

When I had my two boys neutered, the vet recommended keeping a close on them, and if they started to lick the area excessively, or start to chew on it, then I needed to use an E-collar on them. Of course, they were perfect at the vets office post-surgery, but as soon as they got home they started excessively licking at the sight. Well, since I was able to be home during that time, I was able to keep a close eye on them and stop them when they started to lick at their wounds. However, I didn't trust them when I wasn't able to watch them at night when I went to bed, and during the times that I needed to run a few errands. I really didn't want to use an E-collar on them, so I had another idea instead of the E-collar, called my vet, and she said it would be a great alternative. I went out and bought two doggie diapers for them, lined the inside with soft material (since it was plastic, not real comfy considering the circumstances), and GENTLY put it on them at night, and when I had to leave for a little bit. It worked like a charm!!! :y_the_best: I don't know if your pup will try and rip the diaper off, if so, then it obviously wouldn't work for you, but my two guys didn't even bother trying to, so it worked out well (much more comfy than the e-collars)!

Just thought I'd share! :D

7. DogLover

DogLover New Member

The doggie diapers sounds an excellent idea!!! Wow...you must be smart.

Let me observe Chobby till tonight. But, I'll put the E-collar on him when we're in bed. I don't trust him either.

The vet told me Chobby hasn't eaten anything yesterday and this morning even though I left a bag of his food with him. It was already noon when I picked him up today. I wonder why he refused to eat at the vet office. He might be missing home!!!

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It's not uncommon for a dog to refuse to eat at the vet. They are nervous and scared. I once had Nala refuse to lick peanut butter off a stick at the vet when she was just there for a check-up - and for NALA to refuse food is NOT a common thing at all!

9. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Bluebelle had to wear one for a few days when she had her ears cropped and she hated it! I ended up taking it off after the first day and she had no problems whatsoever. Pinky and Izzy were also sent home with one after being spayed but it was a cloth flexible type. I had never seen one like it before it was a lot better then the hard plastic & cardboard one Bluebelle came home with. The cloth one was flexible enough that they can sleep comfortably.

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

From what I have heard and experienced males tend to want to get at the stitches more so than females. With my sisters male from the moment he was awake he was pulling at his staples. Had to be restapled twice. So he had to wear one. My female, I just put a long doggie t-shirt on her, just to keep it clean. She never bothered the area. Plus when the stitched area starts to heal it will start to itch, so keep an eye on him if you don't have the colloar on him. You may take it off and forget to look and he may get at it. I would keep it on for at least a week. They get used to them after a couple of days. And yes they make a bunch of noise walking thru the home.LOL

11. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Chobby is doing pretty good now. I take the collar off him once every few hours and put it back on if I see him going to the wound. Poor doggie...I could feel a needle in my heart when I see him walking with that thing on, especially that he didn't whine about it at all. :cry:

12. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

He's going to be fine, with a caring owner like you. :y_the_best:

13. DogLover

DogLover New Member

puttin510,
    I'm flattered :qm1:

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP...SUPER PUPPY :qm4: (too bad there's no flying dog)

14. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Glad that we could all be of some help. It helps to have gone thru things already. Yeah whats up with that, flying leaping cats but no pups. :shock: