1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help Kitten!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by abbeys-mom, Sep 28, 2004.

1. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello everyone,

I need some advice!
    My freind works down town Toronto, and yesterday she found a box of 3 kittens outside her work. So anyways, my sister took one. My sister loves cats and has 2 already. Now the kitten is very small possibly about 4 weeks, maybe younger. The problems is that the kitten has not eaten, or gone potty yet, and also she has fleas. My sister does not have alot of money and can not really afford to take her to the vet right now. And if we go to the humane society, she will have to surrender the kitten in order for it to get medical attention. We believe this little girl is the runt, as she is much smaller than the other 2 boys and they are both eating and doing well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on to help this baby?

2. vene

vene New Member

Hope this link helps.
    http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6001

Look under the cat sticky for low cost spay/neuter clinics. Call around different vets for advice in both caring for the kitten and payment plans. Lots of them will discount on orphans. Also call the humane society, local shelters including no-kill shelters for advice. They can recommend low cost, vets and give you wonderful advice on caring for the kittens. We have a couple of 16 and 17 year olds on the cat forum that are on their own and capable of caring for orphans. They are Bellack1 and Darkrabbit213 Your sister can do it too.

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5831&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3309&start=0

I'm going to post your questions in the cat forum for seasoned help.

3. vene

vene New Member

From Cassie:
    Could she possibly surrender the baby to the shelter explaining the situation and with the understanding that she will adopt her once she's healthy and ready? That would give her a few weeks to come up with the adoption fee (which generally covers the medical and care given to adoptees).

Not much of an answer, I'm sorry but that's about all I can think of right now. Please keep us posted on what happens to this poor little furbaby.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Could be the FIP or feline leukemia. Small kittens non vaccinated are highly suceptable to this deadly disease. Common symptoms of it are restlessness, bloody urine, loss of appetite, and bloated firm belly.

I would get it to the vet. THey can work out some type of payment plan. If not then the only thing she can do is surrender it to the shelter.

FOr the meantime. Try getting a bottle of KMR milk for kittens. She can try to bottle feed it, but a kitten already that age, probably won't take to it.

5. vene

vene New Member

From Wtpooh:I can tell you what the vet told me when I got Sammi. I'm not sure if the food advise is proper on a 4 week old though.

He told me to give her either chicken baby food...(only pure chicken though..not the ones with vegies) or the lesser expensive...chicken boiled in water with white rice blended to the consistancy of baby food.

As for the fleas. Sammi had tons of them...oh I felt so bed for her. The vet said to use Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Lather up well and leave it on for 10 minutes. This suffocates the fleas. Rinse well.

Here is a picture of Sammi after that bath...

[​IMG]

I hope all works out well for your friend. Keep us posted!

6. vene

vene New Member

From Mary_NH:
    I'd get a flea comb and come well after a bath as stated.

She is probably going to have to help this baby move its bowels by gentle wiping the back end with a soft cloth...

Good feeding would be a canned kitten food made soupy with some pedialyte and using a needleless syringe feed the baby herself. Can put a little corn syrup on the kittens gums to perk it up a bit.

7. aussylover

aussylover New Member

in reply

:eek: Abbeys-mom, I hope I can help you because I've been there in the same boat as your daughter! A friend found a kitten in a shed and decided to keep it as a pet it was only 3-4 weeks old no mom but she wasn't feeding enough, when she brought it to me. She told me she was giving it dry food :cry: :cry: I thought to myself I told omg you can't give a baby that I said you look at that baby it's skin and bones....... plus she would keep it locked up in a bathroom for 8hours with just dryfood! omg I took that baby from her because I got tired of seeing that baby sufering and bonie! so anyway!!! I took him in and fed him,dry kitten food soaked it for about 1hour with hot water, plus ( remind you i'm on a low income myself) a vitamin and smashed in the food once the food is soaked up smashed it up with a fork intil it's mush, and then let the little one slap it up! I did this 4-times a day and then it goes down. Now peanut is big and healthy now he's my baby now! :eek: :eek: Let me know how's it going o.k Aussylover

8. vene

vene New Member

Aussylover, the cat forum wants to see Peanut's pics! [-o< :qm1: in advance!

9. aussylover

aussylover New Member

In reply

:eek: Vene I promise I will get a picture of peanut for you, I just took a bunch of pictures of all of my animals to add to the family with simon, so now I got to get them developed so I can add! :eek: :eek: Probally by this weekend o.k. :y_the_best: thanks Aussylover

10. vene

vene New Member

Thanks Aussylover. I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics!

11. aussylover

aussylover New Member

In reply

:eek: No problem I want you guy's to see my cats!!! all 4 of them :D I love my babies, one of them I call mommy because she acts she my mother she cleans me and watches over me like I'm her baby it's cute!! She is fixed and declawed since she was a baby. then there's randy, buffy, oh and there's crybaby which is mommy's baby she had one litter and then she got fixed, I didn't mean for that to happened but it did, I cried when I found she was pregant. it's a long story!!! Well anyways here's the babies name and now I'll get you the picture's. :y_the_best: :y_the_best: Thanks Aussylover

12. vene

vene New Member

Cute names! :wink:

13. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello All, and thanks for your help!

My sister got some kitten milk and canned food, the baby ate for the first time yesterday afternoon, and boy did she eat! She is mixing the wet food with water and feeding it through a syringe. Then my sister managed to stimulate her to go bathroom, and she did! Also, my sister did a warm bath and flea comb and the fleas are coming out!

Currently she is keeping the kitten in a small crate, with a bed, stuffed animal, heat lamp and she has access to water in there as well and I think she has provided her with a small litter box as well, for when she is ready to use it. She is feeding the little one every 2-3 hours, and she is doing much better!

Thanks you all again...

14. aussylover

aussylover New Member

In reply

:eek: Glad to hear it!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Keep us up to date o.k I love kittens they are so cute :D :D :D Aussylover

15. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

Hey!

What I'd reccomend you do for the kitten is call a vet! Ask them what you should do or if they can help you out! Tell them your kittens situation and they will usually be very compassionate! Try all the vets in your area. I did this a while back when I was worried about my kitty Donut. A vet actually came to me to check her out!

I'm not sure how low on cash you are, but you could try going to a pet store and purchasing a liquid flea remedy and putting it on the back of her neck, or anywhere on her where she can reach to lick, there are some that you can buy that are eating-safe. So if they lick it, it won't hurt them. If you're feeling brave, go ahead and give her a flea bath. But carefully! Make sure you get all her fur, but be extra careful on her head (that's a no-brainer though)! I DO NOT reccomend a flea collar! Those are a very low form of flea protection, and are never good for kittens!

As far as feeding goes, all I can suggest is the Kitten Formula and a bottle that you're going to have to use to force feed her with (gently) until she starts to eat on her own. Or you can buy Can Food and put it in a shallow dish. Encourage her to eat from it by putting her front paws in the mush, get the strong scented Tuna-Flavored kind, hopefully this will draw her attention!

If none of this works, I'd have to say take her to a shelter and see what they can do. You might end up having to surrender her. :(

16. vene

vene New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :p :p :p :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :0020: :0018: :-k :m10:

17. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

oops! I just read that you managed to get her feeling better! I was so worried I just urgently started typing!!

Glad to hear she's feeling so much betteR!!!

18. aussylover

aussylover New Member

19. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hey aussielover!!! your kitty looks like a long haired version of mikey!!!! here are some pics.... :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. vene

vene New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :qm1: Aussylover and Lynn. I just love orange kitties! :m5: :m9: :m33: :qm4: