1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help - my kitten poos in his tray, but won't wee in it!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by honey_1604, Jun 10, 2004.

1. honey_1604

honey_1604 New Member

Hi - I have had my kitten Milo for 2 weeks now, and although he uses his litter tray to poo in, he won't wee in it! I clean it out every 2 to 3 days, and scoop out any solid bits in between. I have tried giving him a treat everytime he uses his litter tray for the last week. I try to look out for him scratching the carpet and squatting, but often I get to him too late, and if I make it in time he often gets out of the litter tray again, and finds a new corner! I just don't understand why he will use it to do one thing in and not the other.

Any ideas?

Thanks xx

2. footsie

footsie New Member

How old is he?

If he is small, then he may not have ever been completly litter trained. You might want to start over with that, by confining him to a carpet-free room with his box. And mopping up any accidents with a paper towel, and the bury the towel in the box. Do a google search for litter training if you haven't done it before and you'll find lots of info.

A trip to the vet to rule out a UTI could also be in order.

3. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Some cats are extremely fussy. Some require you cleaning the box once or even twice a day. And some even insist on two boxes, one for pee and one for poo. They are also sensitive to the litter you use. Always go for unscented litter and lean towards a fine litter rather than a gravel one.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

5. honey_1604

honey_1604 New Member

Thanks

He is 8 weeks old on saturday. Unfortunately, I have a dilema in that he HAS to be in a carpeted room, because it's the only room not having building work done on it at the moment.

I am currently using a deodorising litter, as the carpeted room is our lounge!! It is more gravelly than fine - so maybe I could try to find a new litter. I will also start cleaning it out once a day just to see if that helps!

Hopefully he will start to get used to it - he is a brilliant cat in every other way - playful, cuddly and very trusting! I am just trying to restrain my frustration, because I don't want to shout at him and make him scared, but the longer I am not managing to find a solution, the more frustrating it gets! - especially when I am trying to learn for exams! Thanks for your ideas - any more and let me know xxx

6. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I would consider a quick trip to the vet to rule out a UTI. If that's not the case, you can start working from there. But, if the cat does have an infection, that would have to be cured or else nothing will work.

7. honey_1604

honey_1604 New Member

ok - I will do that then - hopefully I can get an appointment for next week. I hope he's ok!!! :) Thanks xxx

8. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I'm using Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Fragrance Free litler. It clumps well and deodorizes on contact because of the baking soda in it. I clean it once a day and I only notice odor when I'm right on top of it while cleaning. It clumps really well and is a nice fine grain.

9. honey_1604

honey_1604 New Member

Thanks for the tip - I will see if it's available in the UK!! Fingers crossed it will be - I have started cleaning it once a day now - hopefully that will help!

10. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

The link Chessmind posted is a great one and if changing litter types doesn't work then what Lucidity said is right, see a vet ASAP. Cats prefer to use litter to do their business in as opposed to on carpets or floors. If they're not using the litter, there is a reason. Like I mentioned earlier, some kitty's are picky about litter grain and scent but if that's ruled out, it's most likely a physical problem. Please keep us posted on how your furbaby is doing.

11. honey_1604

honey_1604 New Member

Problem solved?!?!

Hey guys - I may have found out what was wrong. Until now I had been lining his litter tray with newspaper, which was something my mother-in-law told me to do. I had noticed Milo scratching wierdly at the paper, and so last night I decided to not put paper in it. The first time I had to put him on his tray, but this morning he has weed in the tray of his own accord. I think it may have been a combination of cleaning out daily and the newspaper - maybe the newspaper absorbs the smell of the urine, while the litter deodorises it. I hope this is sorted!! Thanks for all the advice guys xxx