1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! MY PITBULL PUPPY IS MEAN!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by PitbullPride, Apr 20, 2005.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

delauk, it has now been established that this dog is not only aggressive to strangers but to its own family and from what gina has said it looks like it has attacked twice [unless it was in reference to the bite in this thread]. in fact, i wouldnt call a best friend a stranger anyway. i personally dont feel there is any hope for this dog. if it were a one off incident or only a problem with real strangers, id say try and fix the problem, but it isnt. as spencerpits said, if everyone culled the man biters there would be no problem with their reputations. in fact, the latter goes with any breed.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

First of all Im going by the information Ive read. I didnt see where it bit a family member, the post said the dog had met the guy at one time....I read that it growled at the mother but I dont know if the mother lives there, how often the dog is around the mother. I will stick with what Ive said though, I think the problem is predominantly with the owner and should be trained. THEN would be the time to rethink about having the dog euthanaized if there is no improvement. Obvioulsy in the meantime the dog should never be in a position where biting someone is a possibility....it needs training and desensitizing and she needs it now, not another 6 months from now. I would probably have a different attitude towards this if it was 2 year old male.

ANY dog has the potential to bite, its natural instict is to bite if it is threatened, and by that I dont just mean physically threathened Im also referring to its heirarchial status....the dog needs to be put in its place....and fast.....

Heres a perfect example, and not a dog that I had anything to do with the training....a dog that came into a hospital regularly that I worked at, this dog was probably one of the most aggressive dogs Ive ever met, we couldnt allow it to even come through the door without being muzzled first, the dog had bitten a couple of family members, in the end the owner gave the dog away to someone more experienced with the breed, literally within 4 weeks this was like a different dog, I could clip its nails without so much of a snarl let alone a muzzle, we drew blood on the dog, no muzzle, I worked with that dog for another 2 years and not once after it went to the new owner did it give us any problems at all......so was the dog the problem or the original owner in her lack of knowledge and understanding.

Kyles wasnt it you that just brought something up about your cat attacking you on your bed....I almost lost sight in my left eye a few years ago when my cat woke me up with her claw embedded in my eye.....another cat I worked with put me the in the hospital for a day after a bite, I was out of work for 3 weeks with a badly bitten hand and a pretty nasty infection as the cats tooth had actually scraped the bone in my finger....maybe if your cat attacked you on your own bed it should be euthanized.

3. PitbullPride

PitbullPride New Member

kyles101, you are not reading correctly here, are you?

When did my puppy attack a family member? It never did. She growled at my mom when she came to visit before she recognized her. Then she started crying and wagging her tail uncontrollably.

It bit my best friend WHO SHE MET FOR ABOUT 2 SECONDS WHEN SHE WAS A COUPLE MONTHS OLD.

I stated that she loves everyone she knows and I do not worry about her biting people she knows and loves.

Now for an update: I just had a friend, who my puppy doesnt know, move in with me. I rented him out one of my rooms. So, I made him sit on the couch, I muzzled my dog and introduced him to her. Everything went very well and she is now buddies with him. I am working on making her a good dog.