1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help questions about parvo

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by azlady28, Apr 26, 2004.

1. azlady28

azlady28 New Member

Hi there.
    We just bought our cocker spaniel puppy a week ago. The previous owners just called and said one of their puppies has parvo. Does anyone know the chances of our little one contracting the disease? Anyone had this experience and their puppy didn't get it?

Thanks.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi since the previous owner/breeder called and told you about this there is a chance that your pup could have contracted it i wuld have him taken to the vets for bloodwork done to make sure he has not got it.
    I have added a link about parvovirus and the signs of ill ness and what the virus is.

Parvo can kill quickly if not treated as soon as possible

mike

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/canine_parvovirus.html

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Most of the time if a pup is infected, the whole litter is. It's very contagious! The earlier it's detected, the better. Signs are vomitting and bloody diarrhea. They won't eat or drink and are very lethargic. They will usually smell from being so dehydrated. If you get your pup into the vet at an early stage, success is very good. I had a dog 14 yrs ago that had parvo, and she survived. It was the same thing as you, the whole litter had it. I hope everything turns out good for you!

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Definately take her to the vet asap. The sooner parvo is detected the better chances for survival. ITs likely she's contracted it since it came from the same litter. THey all nursed from the same mom, and chances are your pup nursed off the same nipple as the infected one. Thats a sure fire way to contract it. Plus, through fecal matter, and puppies playing.

Not trying to scare you, but to be safe Take her in. SHe may not act or look sick now, but when she does, it may be too late.

5. Zekesmom

Zekesmom New Member

Parvo

I, too, do not want to scare you but I have a Rottweiler who had parvo. We found each other at the Humane Society. Two days after I got him he was throwing up and wouldn't eat or drink. I took him to the vet and she bascially yelled at me and told me to get him back to the HS right away!! I did. He was quarantined and given IVs and survived. Meanwhile, a woman who worked at the HS had adopted his sister. She rushed home and got her pup and the little girl survived as well. When a dog shows signs of parvo it goes very fast!! Dogs can pass away in a day. Later, we found out that our two dogs were the only ones who survived from the litter. I hope everything goes well for you. Let us know!!