1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP SHE HAS MANGE!!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by catrastrophe, Apr 14, 2004.

1. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Hey!
    We stole a puppy the other day, which is a long story, but anyways, she is about ten pounds underweigh, wormy, and has sarcoptic mange. We purchased a product called "Happy Jack Sardex 2 Dog Mange Cure".....has anyone here used this before? If so, does it work?
    We took her to see our vet, but he doesnt like messing with rescues. If it aint in good health and purebred then he aint touching it! Sad for a vet to be like that, but there you go. Thats why I dont work for him anymore. Anyways, she is a gorgeous longhaired german shepherd puppy, but on her muzzle, feet, and the backs of her legs she has mange. Do I need to clip the spots where it is showing? I dont have any experience with this type of mange!
    Thanks!!!

2. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

By the way...the story is:
    We are driving along in the middle of nowhere, when we pass this brokedown old house with like 10 brokedown cars in front of it, and a new satellite dish hooked up to a huge TV on their porch(you could tell what they cared about)! They had two german shepherds, a long and a short hair, chained in the front yard. Both were very skinny, and the short hair clearly had mange. There were three puppies dead in the road in front of their house, and one puppy laying in the yard with the two adults. We thought oh how sad, but there is really nothing we can do for them right now, and kept going. There is a curve right after the house, and as we come around it, we have to swerve almost off the road to miss another puppy. She is standing in the dead center of the road, trying her best to gulp down a longdead roadkill something. We stop and as soon as I open the car door, she is there trying to get in my lap, tail going 60 mph. Luckily we always keep a bag of puppy chow in the trunk, and she ate and ate and ate....So we took her home with us. Poor baby has fleas, tapeworms, whipworms, sarcoptic mange, and weighs about 10 lbs at around 10-12 wks old. She should weigh at least 20 lbs! Anyways...that is how we stole a puppy. Cant say I feel guilty, because I dont! I am trying to get someone out there to take the rest of them away from those folks too! Would any of you do different? :cry:

3. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

thats terrible! so glad you rescued it. i looked up the product you mentioned and it seems respectable enough. use some advantage on the dog as well. that will help the mange and it will get rid of the fleas. your best bet would be to go to another vet though. if its bad it might need injections etc or it could get infections. i woudnt feel guilty for taking the dog at all :wink:

4. Jody

Jody New Member

Can i be a real pain in the but and ask what Mange is???

Jody

PS: NEVER MIND I DID MY HOME WORK AND I DID A GOOGLE SEARCH ON IT......

5. winnie

winnie New Member

That was good of you to save that puppy...poor thing...she is lucky you happned by

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

what a lucky puppy you were driving by - can you call the authorities on these idiots that had the puppies?

7. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

I have called the city hall for their area, which is two hours from us, and they said as long as the dogs have food, water, and shelter, there is nothing they can do for them. I would have to say they didnt get enough food because of how skinny they are, but the lady I talked to said that wasnt enough to send someone to check them out. :cry: :cry: :cry:
    I dont know how to explain what mange is!!! :shock: We went ahead and gave her a parvo/distemper shot as soon as we got home with her, assuming if she was kept in those conditions, that she hasnt had any yet.
    :?: Does anyone know whether the affected areas need to be clipped to heal? :?:

8. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

the mange you mentioned is actually scabies. ew! humans get scabies. not sure if its the same thing. if it is id be having showers every 2 seconds lol.

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Did the dead puppies in the road mean nothing to the authorities?! Maybe you can plan a night raid and steal the rest of them... 8-[

Jamiya

10. First off, my hats off to you! :y_the_best: secondly, I wish there were more animals cops out there like you see on the animal channel. They would have cared that that there were two dead puppies and the rest were starving :x I get so angry! they are supposed to be there to help!

Perhaps you could find a way to steal all of them and take them to a better shelter, but then you have to be careful! that is private property, and YOU could be the one getting into trouble.

God bless you girl! for taking that poor puppy in :y_the_best:

I don't know anything about mange, so I am going to do some research on if you should cut the hair, I will get back to you on that.

Perhaps someone here will know...

Kudos to you! and give the pup a pat from me...

Sincerely, Susan

11. lady_racergst

lady_racergst New Member

Mange

I know a little about mange because my mom and dad have a kennel and like any good dog owner thay looked up everything a dog could get and talked to the vet, so living at home I picked up a little but that was a long time ago. There are different types of mange some they pick up and other they get from there moms you really need to find out what type your puppy has and from what I know, mange of any type needs meds from a vet and when they get it from there mom it never goes away but with meds you don't see it I think you should go to a vet that cares about all animals and see what they say that the safe way to go you can get mange from you dog you know. Anyway job well done that puppy will now have a happy life. :eek:

12. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Good for you, nice rescue mssion.

ARGH! I get so mad at these morons in City Hall. All they care about is their damn paycheck, and how little work they have to do to get it!!

I would continue to call them and try to call otherauthorities as well. Let them know about all th dead puppies. Tell them there was no food and shelter. Kick and scream until you are heard. If all else fails, I would also plan a night raid on the dogs. I am sure they are not registered, so its their word against yours. For all the shelter would know, you found them in a field. :wink:

Good luck with the puppy. Keep us posted if anything happens with the other dogs.

13. moose

moose New Member

are you sure it is sarcoptic mange? if so, just be very careful handling the dog and letting it around any other animals you have, as sarcoptic mange is contagious. you may even want to consider treating all your animals to be on the safe side. as far as treatments, i'm not familiar with the dip product you bought -- my advice would be to call a vet and get a recommendation on a product. good luck to you, and good call on "stealing" the pup!

14. Hello again! Perhaps this will help you!

Tea Tree oil:
    Wash the animal with gentle soap and water. Remove excess hair by clipping or shaving it off. Use a spray bottle to saturate the affected area with the following mixture of tea tree oil and water. Mix 1 Tbsp. of pure Tea Tree oil with 1 Cup water. When using the spray, shake the bottle vigorously and often. Saturate the area with this mixture and let stay on fo-15 minutes. Dry the animal with paper towels (throw out the towel after using).

For suborn areas, saturate a cotton ball with pure Tea Tree oil and apply to the area. Do this 2 times daily, for at least a week or until signs of mange are gone.

Garlic:
    Mites don't tolerate sulfur compounds, and garlic contains hundreds of them.

Ear Mite Oil:

One part Mullein Infused Oil
    One part Garlic Infused Oil
    10-20 drops of Vit. E oil for each 1 oz of garlic & mullein oil mixture

Other Herbs to consider:
    Lavender, Yarrow, Oregon Grape and Licorice. Any of these herbs can be used in oils, salves, or ointments as well, or they can be made into a skin rise.

Good luck to you!

Susan

15. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Kudos for you!! I would not look at it as stealing, you found a stray (it wasnt on the property right?) and took it in!! Good luck helping the rest of the dogs and I hope this little puppy gets better!

16. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Ok...I will look for this tea tree oil stuff. I am sure it is Sarcoptic mange, not demodectic(red mange). Red mange is the one that is genetic. We have our dogs on Revolution, which guarentees to prevent mange, but doesnt cure it once they have it. So that doesnt help this pup, but does protect our other dogs. My husband drove back out there yesterday afternoon, but they were having a barbaque outside. He saw two living puppies playing in their backyard, and the two adults were still chained in the front. And of course the dead puppies were still in the road 20 ft in front of their house. Makes me sick! We have had animals hit by cars before, but we would never leave them in the road! :cry: This puppy is so sweet....she hears a voice and that tail wags so hard! She is gaining weight and no longer has that wormy pot gut. :)

17. honeybears

honeybears New Member

good for you and saving that poor dogs I life. I am sorry but i dont know anyting about mange. I would call the agency again an reiterate their are dead puppies laying around.

good luck to the pup for a healthy recovery

honeybear

18. Shady_Babygurl

Shady_Babygurl New Member

Make sure its not just fleas because a severe flea infestation can cause severe hair loss looking like mange. Definatly take the pup to a vet, even if its a trip to get to another vet. You want proof that this dog was malnourished and sickly. You want picsof this as well. All of this is in case she trys to get the dogs back claiming you stole it. You definatly need to get proof of everything. Good thing for the pup that you came along or it could be dead like the others. Just make sure you GRADUALLY feed the dog, you want to adjust the dogs stomache to food again instead of free feeding till full. A dog that is emanciated will gulp food down like theres no end and it isnt good for the dog. Make sure to get the fleas under control before seeking chemicals for mange. Alot of things can cause a dog to look as though it has mange. Im VERY knowledgable about demodectic mange but not so much on scarcopic. Good luck with everything!!

Kim

19. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

As much as her skin is peeling, it would have to be a really horrific flea infestation to look like that! It is clearing up though with the Happy Jacks....our vet did see her, he just wouldnt treat her. He said we would save ourselves a lot of hassle just putting her down (and she isnt that bad!!!)...I have taken pics though.... I am going to get pics of the mange spots now, cause you cant see them well in the first pics I took. I doubt these people would ever find us, since we do live two hours away in another state.

20. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I read about the Happy jack stuff a few years ago. Wish I had found it earlier. I believe it said not to use it on too young of a puppy. I had to have my dog dipped three times I think it was. Sarcoptic mange is really hard to find on a clean dog. Mine being a house dog. So they treated it as mange. I believe he had to have a dip every ten days to make sure it was working. Make suree you wash everything she lays on in hot water. Maybe some bleach too can't remember which.
    Good for you for saving her life. Will you be keeping her ot re-homing her?