1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Herbal flea and tick products

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

2. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

The key word in most all the stuff they sell is oil, keeping that in mind most of these things don't work or only short term, you would have to put it on your guys daily and some of them can irritate there skin even cause hair loss. Did you know that in the old days farmers us to take motor oil and put it all over there dogs to rid them of fleas and ticks, some even brushed them with DDT. I have used baby oil on my guys, from head to toe but they would have to stay outside all night till there bath, boy would they shine afterwards. I found flour regular cooking flour works or Ivory soap in a tub up to there necks. Ivory dissolves the eggs and the water soap mix kills the fleas. Fleas can't swim. I spray there area each day with dish soap and bleach and yes I still have green grass.I have never used Front Line or that other stuff and never well. Why would someone want to poison there pet ?

2pyrs

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I am more concerned about the mosquitos, although I would rather them not get fleas or ticks either.

Jamiya

4. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

I figure that the chances of my guys getting anything from a mosquito bite are the same as mine.I don't think a mosquito knows the differences that it would be attracted to a dog any more them a cow or us. Last year we sprayed them with kids off and we used it to specially since we do go in the woods a lot, but we still got bites. I just can't see poisoning my guys so that if they get a bit they won't get anything, I don't see that it is a guarantee even after popping them with pills and shots. It kind of reminds me of the story of chicken little and the sky is falling, but each to there own I say. I could get into a topic here about over kill with our guys and all the shots and pills, but know one can agree on the best way so we just plug along the best we can.

2pyrs

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

That's the point. I am trying to find something that is not a pesticide like Off or the vet remedies. I think I will try the lemon/rosemary thing if I can find rosemary somewhere.

Jamiya

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Keep in mind that lemon juice is very drying to the skin. It has been used over the years to treat various skin problems.
    It must be mixed in correct portions and I would try it on a small spot first to make sure there are know problems, reaction such as a rash or burning of the skin. I have never heard of this mix before and its use. Also keep in mind most sprays don't last that long so it would have to be applied quit often. Some people say Skin So Soft spray works well but to use it on a pyr I would need a tank full.

2pyrs

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

This is the recipe:

Original poster unknown.

Jamiya

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I have found the best thing to use to rid of fleas and ticks and stop them going on the dogs is ground garlic soaked in hot water for 30minutes then i allow to cool and pour into a water spray bottle the kind you would use to spray your plants.
    I then spray them once a month and i can honestly say my dogs have never had a flea or tick in there lives also fleas like the neck of dogs as its the warmest part so getting a clove of garlic and rubbing this into the skin gets rid of the pests.

Just something i do :)

Mike

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Thank you, Mike! This is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for! How much ground garlic do you use in how much water? Do you actually grind the raw garlic yourself?

And 2pyrs, I re-read your posts and just for your info, this is not true:

Heartworms have to complete part of their life cycle in a dog or cat. You cannot get heartworms from a mosquito, but your dog can.

That being said, I think the chances are greatly overestimated and I am opposed to the idea of giving medicine "in case" a dog might get sick. That would be like taking a Tylenol every morning just in case I get a headache.

Jamiya

10. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I usually drind 2-3cloves of garlic and soak it in about 1pint of boiled water
    the dogs smell a little funny for a few hours but the small usually goes but the garlic is toxic to the fleas and ticks.

mike

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Thank you! I'll try this right away. I found another tick last night crawling on Bonnie's leg, looking for a place to settle.

Jamiya

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya I have rosemary growing all over it is like a weed! I guess it doesnt grow well where you are. I am going to try the ssoltion since I only need to use it occasionaly when we are all outside. And since 2 pyrs mentioned lemon being drying, I think I will add some tee tree oil

Honeybear

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

May as well add the aloe pulp, too - especially if you have any aloe plants since it would be easy to obtain. Hmmm. I used to have an aloe plant. I should get a new one!

Jamiya

14. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya - I made the lemon rosemary spary last night and I did get tee tree oil, I will try it out tonight. It doesnt seem reall strong but we'll see

honeybear

15. SadiesMoM (JRsMom)

SadiesMoM (JRsMom) New Member

:eek:
    Jimiya - I have been using that solution for approx. 3 mths and it seems to work very good - it's supposed to help keep mosquitoes away also... I got the aloe plant and fresh rosemary from Walmart.

Also try to find a mature aloe plant - the way you find that is find one without the white spots on it...kinda hard to do.

This link: http://www.pet-grub.com/animaltales/aloe.pets has a lot of good information on aloe plants - their care etc.

16. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Just a regular Wal-Mart?

Jamiya

17. SadiesMoM (JRsMom)

a Super Walmart

18. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

:D I found that exact same recipe for the lemon rosemary spray last summer and used it. I actually don't remember how well it worked, but it smells great! I have a huge rosemary plant in my flower garden. If you decide to go w/ this recipe you should get a plant. I got mine from Lowe's or somewhere that has a garden center, planted it as a baby. No care and a couple of years later it is still growing strong. :D

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hmmmm. I made it and the lemon smelled good when I cut it up, but this morning the spray doesn't smell all that good. Strange. I ended up getting some rosemary from the organic section of the grocery store - a package of some sprigs, refrigerated. Maybe that's the problem.

Jamiya

20. SadiesMoM (JRsMom)

I think it's the tea tree oil that makes it smell not so good...sadie bolts when I pull it out of the refigerator - poor think - I know it's cold :)